Season's Preview - Walsall's View
Relegated despite what was said to be our strongest ever squad (former top flight performers such as Merson, Samways, Ritchie). Best performance, a 4-1 win over Albion. Too many poor performances (especially after Christmas) to choose from.
2) How do you think you'll do this season?
Hopes, final position. Hope for automatic promotion, hopes dampened however by lack of summer signings and poor pre season results.
3) What's your squad like, new signings, etc?
Nucleus of last season when we beat likes of Albion, Wigan, Reading etc Have since lost Walker and Ritchie – 2 BIG names – and have failed to find sufficient replacements as yet.
4) Which youngster will make the biggest impression in your team this season?
Matty Fryatt has a big, big future ahead of him and we will rely on him for goals. Merson has high hopes for winger Mark Wright. Kris Taylor and Julian Bennett are also promising – AND set to be given opportunities.
5) What's your manager like and will he still be there at the end of the season?
Merse is attack minded, inexperienced but exciting. Much publicised off field problems have left many supporters doubting Merson’s staying power.
6) Are you happy with your Chairman/Backroom staff?
Backroom staff are all new, young and enthusiastic. Opinions on board are mixed, we are a well run club but we never ever have money to spend.
7) Which team do you want to beat the most and why?
No major local rivals. Hull are big spenders and Bristol City are a danger to our promotion hopes.
8) Predict your champions and runner up, the 4 Play-Off teams and the 4 to go down.
Bristol City, Walsall, Hull, Sheff Wed…
9) What is the address of your site?