Carling Cup First Round - League Two Review

Last updated : 14 August 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Luton Town managed to pull off a 'giant killing at Kenilworth Road, seeing off Championship side Plymouth Argyle in a 2-0 win. Jarvis gave Town a 15th minute lead, with Plummer securing the win, and a place in round two, with a 77th minute strike.

Macclesfield also booked their place in the second round, also with a 2-0 win, this come at the expense of Championship side Blackpool at Moss Rose. Brisley gave the home side the lead in the 25th minute, with Gritton extending the lead in the 59th minute.

Notts County progressed at the expense of Championship new boys Doncaster Rovers at Meadow Lane. Weston scored the only goal of the game in the 106th minute.

Grimsby Town managed to perform a 'giant killing' over Tranmere Rovers at Blundell Park. Hunt gave Town a 20th minute lead, with the win secured in the 54th minute when Chorley put past his own keeper.

Darlington managed to pull off an improbablw win over Walsall at the Bescot Stadium. Ricketts had given the Saddlers an 11th minute lead, but then saw Kennedy level in the 31st minute, and Clarke score the winner in the 67th minute.

Rotherham United came out on top in another Yorkshire derby as they managed to overcome near neighbours Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough, albeit after a penalty shoot out. Esajas (14th minute) for the home side, and Rhodes (15th minute) ensure that the match went to extra time. Esajas (117th minute) and Reid (119th minute) ensured that the match went to penalties. Mills, Harrison, Hudson, Todd, and Reid all scored the United, while Wednesday failed as Clarke, O'Connor and McAllister were the only successful penalty takes for the Championship side.

League Two new boys Aldershot Town put up a brave fight fight against Championship side Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena, but went down 3-1. Morrison gave City a 31st minute lead, only to see Morgan level for Town in the 37th minute. A Simpson brace in the 58th and 65th minutes killed off Aldershot resistance.

Morcambe, who were giant killers in last season's Carling Cup, were trounced at the City Ground against Nottingham Forest, with the home side running out 4-0 winners. Cohen gave Forest a 14th minute lead. Morcambe eventually crumbled in the second period as they saw Earnshat net a brace in the 62nd and 89th minutes, with Newbold netting in the 81st minute.

Sheffield United eventually booked their place in the second round after they managed to see off Port Vale at Bramall Lane. Hendrie gave United a 41st minute lead, with Rodgers equalising in the 53rd minute. United booked their place in the next round when Quinn (71st minute) and a Webber penalty (90th minute) secured the win.

Wycombe Wanderers failed to cause an upset in front of the live TV cameras at Adams Park where Birmingham City secured a convincing 4-0 away win. Nafti gave City a 14th minute lead with O'Connor (64th min), Jerome (73rd min), and Owusu-Abeyie (86th min) securing the win.

AFC Bournemouth managed to hold Cardiff City to a 2-1 win at Dean Court. The score line could have been worse for the Cherries as Parry netted a brace in the 7th and 12th minutes. Kuffour scored a consolation for the Cherries in the 29th minute.

Barnet didn't fair too well on the South Coast against Brighton & Hove Albion as the Seagulls ran out 4-0 winners at Withdean. Goals from Virgo (2nd and 35th minutes), Forster (28th minute) and Richards (43rd minute) killed the game off before half time.

Bury entertained Burnley in a Lancashire derby with the Championship side easing their way to a 2-0 win at Gigg Lane. A Paterson brace in the 40th and 90th minutes was enough for the Claret and Blues to book their place in the second round.

Fresh from their 6-0 thrashing at the hands of Dagenham & Redbridge at the weekend, Chester City probably feared the worse as they lined up against Leeds United at the Deva Stadium. The game was largely over before half time as Leeds ran riot .... Beckford netted a first half hat trick with goals in the 3rd, 25th and 35th minutes. Snodgrass (10th min) and Robinson (31st min) completed the scoring rout for United as City could only reply with a Lowe goal in the 15th minute. City did score a 2nd consolation through Lowe, with a 75th minute penalty.

Dagenham & Redbridge were brough down to earth after their weekend win with Reading winning 2-1 at Victoria Road. Henry gave Reading a 26th minute lead, with Taiwo equalising in the 68th minute. The Championship side squeezed through when Hunt scored the winner in the 89th minute.

Lincoln City did well to take Derby County to extra time at Pride Park. Wright gave the Leafue Two side a 48th minute lead, with Ellington levelling the scores in the 83rd minute. Ellington went on to secure his hat trick, and a place in the second round with further strikes in the 100th and 105th minutes.

League new boys, Exeter City, were no match for Southampton at St James's Park. Holmes gave the Saints a 29th minute lead, with McGoldrick extending the lead in the 77th minute. Moxey gave City hope in the 85th minute, but those hopes were extinguished in the final few seconds as McGoldrick netted from the penalty spot.

Gillingham were out done by a single Colchester United goal at Preistfield as Heath netted in the 11th minute for the Essex side.

The Yorkshire derby at the Galpharm Stadium saw Huddersfield Town romp home to a 4-0 win over Bradford City. Worthington gave Town a 48th minute lead, which was added to by Williams in the 75th minute, which was in between a Roberts brace in the 62nd and 80th minutes.

Chesterfield fell at the first hurdle against Championship side Preston North End at Deepdale. A brace from Mellor in the 37th and 90th minutes was enough to see the home side through to the next round.

Rochdale went all the way with Oldham Athletic at Spotland in another Lancashire derby. It finished 0-0 after 90 minutes and extra time. Sadly the League Two outfit failed in the penalty shoort out as the Latics won 4-1. Eardley, Taylor, Whitaker and Hughes scored the Oldham penalties with Kennedy scoring the only penalty for Rochdale.

Shrewsbury Town were narrowly eased out of the competition as Carlisle United managed to secure a 1-0 win at the New Meadow as Murphy netted in the 41st minute.

Swansea City saw off Brentford at the Liberty Stadium with a 2-0 win over the Bees. Goals from Cox (34th minute) and Painter (41st minute) secured passage in to the second round.

Accrington Stanley were close to an upset at Molineux, but Wolverhampton Wanderers managed to secure their place in the second round after extra time. Stanlet had taken the lead in the 40th minute, but were forced to settle for extra time as Iwelumo netted in the 73rd minute. Iwelumo netted again in the 102nd minute, only to see Craney level in the 104th minute. The win was secured (just), by Davies in the 106th minute.