Carling Cup Review

Last updated : 10 August 2011 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

Notts County were involved in a tussle and a half against their nearest and dearest at the City Ground against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday evening. County took the lead in the 16th minute through Edwards only to see McGugan level on the half hour. Findlay gave advantage to Forest 11 minutes after the re-start, only for Westcarr to level 20 minutes later. Lee Hughes put County back in front in the 98th minute leaving Morgan to force the pame in to a penalty shoot-out with a 123rd minute eqialiser. Forest won the shoot-out 4-3.

Colchester United were also involved in a 6-goal thriller, that also went to a penalty shoot out, theirs coming against fellow League One side Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park. Donnelly gave the Chairboys a 2nd minute lead, with Grant doubling the advantage 10 minutes later. Odejayi pulled one back in the 27th minute, with Henderson levelling 4 minutes before the break. Gillespie have the Essex side the lead from the penalty spot in the 98th minute, leaving Beavon to level 7 minutes later. Wycombe Wanderers won the penalty shoot out 5-4.

Brentford slipped out of the Carling Cup, going down to a single Arquin 92nd minute goal as Hereford United edged through at Edgar Street.

Sheffield United were made to work at the Victoria Ground as they battled it out against Hartlepool United. Quinn gave the Blades the lead in the 29th minute, with Sweeney levelling for the home side 10 minutes from the end. With no goals in extra time, the Blades eventually won a penalty shoot-out 4-3.

Tranmere Rovers were knocked out by Championship side Doncaster Rovers at The Keepmoat. Brown (5th min pen), Mason (29th min) and Bennett (59th min) netted the goals to put Sean O'Driscoll's men through.

Walsall was soundly beaten at Bescot by Middlesbrough. A hat-trick from Emnes (17th, 37th and 52nd min pen) was more than enough to ease the visitors through.

Franchise FC eased their way past Cheltenham Town at Whaddon Road as Baldock (41st min), Ibehre (46th min), Lewington (61st min) and Balanta (64th min) all responded after Summerfield gave the home side the lead in the 29th minute.

Bury produced one of the shocks of the round as they knocked Coventry City out at Gigg Lane, that after O'Donovan gave the Championship side the lead in the 26th minute. Bishop levelled in the 33rd minute, with Lowe securing the win with strikes in the 75th and 88th minutes.

Huddersfield Town eased their way in to the 2nd round with victory over Port Vale at Vale Park, even though Roberts gave Vale the lead in the 24th minute. Novak levelled 5 minutes later for the Terriers, with Novak doubling his tally in the 38th minute, followed with goals from Hunt (58th min) and Roberts (67th min), leaving Loft to score from the penalty spot with 7 minutes left.

Scunthorpe United eased their way past Accrington Stanley with a 2-0 at Livingstone Road. Dagnell (82nd min penalty) and Barcham (93rd min) eventually eased Scunny through.

Local hours in the south-west went to Exeter City at St James's Park against Yeovil Town. Bauza (63rd min) and Shepard (94th min) ensured that the Grecians are in the hat for the next round.

Stevenage Borough found themselves in a ding-dong battle against relatively near neighbours Peterborough United at Broadhall Lane. Ball gave Posh the lead in the 16th minute, with Long levelling 16 minutes later. Ball completed a brace in the 65th minute, with Bostwick forcing extra time with an 80th minute leveller. Boyd gave Posh the lad (again) in the 96th minute, only to see Beardsley level in the 117th minute. With the match slipping towards penalties, Tomlin popped up in the 121st minute to claim a Posh victory.

Rochdale and Chesterfield needed extra time to sort themselves out at Spotland. Whitaker gave the Spirites the lead in the 11th minute, with Grimes levelling 8 minutes later. No further goals saw Whitaker score from the penalty spot in the 95th minute, with mattis putting past his own keeper 8 minutes later. Grimes popped up with his 2nd of the night to secure the win in the 111st minute.

Leyton Orient had to rely on a penalty shoot out at Layer Road against Southend United. Richardson gave the O's the lead in the 23rd minute, with Phillips levelling 9 minutes later. The O's eventually won 4-3 on penalties. If decided on yellow cards, then the east London side would have won comfortably - 6-1, including one sending off!

Preston North End managed to edge past Crewe Alexandra at Deepdale, with a 3-2 win, but had to come from behind to do so. A Tootle own goal (3rd min) gave PNE the lead, only for Miller (18th min) and Artell (40th min) to turn the scoreline round by half time. Mellor (84th min) and Hume (90th min) broke Alex hearts in the final stages.

Carlise United managed to sneak past Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park, but needed a penalty shoot out to do so. Reid gave the Latics the lead in the 24th minute, from the penalty spot, with McGovern levelling in the 57th minute. With no further goals in normal, or extra time, it left the Cumbrians to win 2-3 on penalties.

The biggest win in the first round (to date) came at Dean Court where AFC Bournemouth were comfortable winners, 5-0, over Dagenham & Redbridge. Pugh (32nd min), Cooper (35th min), Feeney (57th min) and a brace from Taylor (88th and 93rd mins) was more than enough to ease the Cherries through.

The game involving Charlton Athletic and Reading was called off due to the on going problems around the capital.

Sheffield Wednesday face Blackpool on Thursday evening.