Championship Review - Jan 25th

Last updated : 26 January 2014 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

In this weekends Fourth Round of the FA Cup, there weren't any major upsets involving any sides from the Championship.

Through to the Fifth Round go Charlton Athletic, who managed to edge Huddersfield Town out at the John Smith Stadium. The Championship strugglers went through courtesy of a Church goal in the 54th minute to set up a tie against Sheffield Wednesday.

Talking of who, Sheffield Wednesday managed to squeek past Rochdale at Spotland with a 2-1 win. Mattock gave the Owls a 51st minute lead, with Onyewu doubling the advantage 6 minutes later. Dale gave themselves a glimour of hope when Rose pulled one back in the 60th minute, but it wasn't enough to force a replay, despite Wednesday going down to 10-men in the 64th minute.

FA Cup holders, Wigan Athletic caused, what might be described as a minor upset as they sent Premiership Crystal Palace out at the DW Stadium. Watson sent the home side on their way with a 36th minute strike, with Wilbraham levelling in the 69th minute. McClean bagged the winner with 12 minutes to go. The holders now face a trip to Cardiff City.

Brighton & Hove Albion eased past Port Vale at Vale Park with a 3-1 win. Ince gave the Seagulls the lead in the 27th minute, with the League One outfit levelling in the 36th minute. The match and a home tie against Hull City, was wrapped up when March (43rd min) and Obika (78th min) sealed victory.

Nottingham Forest were held at the City Ground by League One Preston North End as both sides cancelled each other out in a 0-0 draw. The winners of this tie travel to either Fulham or Sheffield United.

AFC Bournemouth were beaten at home by Liverpool who managed to edge the Cherries out of the competition with goals from Moses (26th min) and Sturridge (60th min) to set up a tie against Arsenal.

Birmingham City failed to progess as they were edged out by Swansea City at St Andrews, despite taking the lead through Novak in the 15th minute. The Swans hit back after the break when two quick strikes from Bony in the 67th and 69th minutes sealed the place in the next round against Everton.

Bolton Wanderers were knocked out by Cardiff City at The Reebok. A solitary goal from Campbell in the 50th minute sealed a place in the next round, and a tie against Wigan Athletic.

Watford gave Manchester City an almighty scare at the Etihad as they Championship side gained a 2-goal advantage through Forestieri (20th min) and Deeney (29th min). The Premiership side emphatically hit back after the break when Aguero hit a hat trick (59th, 78th, 92nd mins) plus a strike from Kolarov (86th min) to set up a Fifth Round tie against Chelsea.

Finally for the FA Cup, Yeovil Town were dumped out at St Mary's by Southampton. Goals from Prado (23rd min pen) and Gallagher (70th min) edged out the Championship strugglers as the Saints go on to meet Sunderland.

Back to League action, and Leicester City extended their lead at the top to 8-points, with a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough at the King Power Stadium. Goals from Vardy (52nd min) and de Laet (73rd min) sealed victory as most their rivals were not in action over the weekend. Leicester City 1st, Middlesbrough 10th.

Derby County could only muster a point at Ewood Park against Blackburn Rovers. Gestede gave Rovers the lead just after half time, with Bamford levelling with 6 minutes left on the clock. Blackburn Rovers 9th, Derby County 4th.

Reading failed to make their game count, slipping up 2-0 at Portman Road against Ipswich Town. Goals from Murphy (62nd min) and Anderson (91st min) sealed victory for the Tractorboys. Ipswich Town 7th, Reading 6th.

The remaining game played saw Blackpool and Doncaster Rovers cancel each other out at Bloomfield Road in a 1-1 draw. A Halliday strike for the home side in the 78th minute was cancelled out by a Sharp leveller 7 minutes later. Blackpool 14th, Doncaster Rovers 20th.