League One Results Round Up (August 14th)

Last updated : 15 August 2004 By Andy Burton
At the start of the season, who would have thought that Colchester United and Luton Town would have had dream starts to the campaign, leading the way with 9 points each - albeit at the very early stage of the season!!

Colchester United made it 3 wins out of 3 with a 2-1 win over Peterborough United at Layer Road. Even though Peterborough took the lead through David Farrell on 10 minutes, Col U hit back through a Wayne Andrews penalty (58 mins) and clinched victory when Ireland put the ball past his own keeper.

Luton kept up with the pace at the top of League One as they shared 7 goals at Oakwell, coming out on top 4-3!! Even though Barnsley took a 2nd minute lead through Boulding, Luton equalised 2 minutes later through Howard and then hit Barnsley twice just before the break as Vine and Brkovic netted on 44 and 45 mins respectively. Ex-Cherry, Steve Robinson, made it 4 for the visitors on 66 minutes, before the hosts came back through McPhail and Boulding towards the end. But it was too little too late for Barnsley.

Hull City lost their 100% start to the season, loosing 3-2 at Port Vale, as Hull boss, Peter Taylor slammed the referee saying that "I didn't think a lot of his decisions were up to standard". Nicky Barmby opened the scoring on 14 minutes with Sam Collins levlling on 26 minutes. Steve Brooker then netted on 51 minutes to put Vale in front for the first time. Hull City must have thought they'd snatched a point when Elliott scored in the 90th minute, but that did stop Brooker to score again to secure 3 points for the Potteries side.

Wrexham lost to a Kevin O'Connor goal at Griffin Park, while Tranmere Rovers beat Chesterfield through a single strike from Eugene Dadi at Prenton Park.

Sheffield Wednesday must be hoping for better things this season as they hit Torquay United for four goals at Plainmoor. The Gulls cause was not helped with an 8th minute penalty (converted by Steve MacLean). The home side did equalise just before the break, Jo Kuffor doing the honours. Then Graeme Lee put the Owls back in front before Torquay levelled on the hour through Martin Gritton. This didn't stop Lee Peacock and Paul Heckingbottom sealing three points and a happy return back up the M5/M1 for the Yorkshire side.

Bradford City secure their first win of the season against their Yorkshire rivals Doncaster Rovers at Valley Parade, winning 2-0 with goals from Mark Bower and Lee Crooks during the first half.

Walsall and Oldham Athletic battled out a great game, unevenly sharing 8-goals at Boundary Park. Matt Fryatt and Daryl Taylor, who scored at Dean Court on Tuesday, put Walsall in to a 2-goal lead before David Eyres scored twice just before half time to level matters at the end of the first half. Dean Holden and Rodney Jack then put Oldham in to a 4-2 lead within 10 minutes of the restart. Matt Fryatt netted his second of the afternoon from the penalty spot to half the deficit, but a 90th minute strike from Adam Griffin secured the points for The Latics.

Stockport County had the most impressive win of the day - a 4-0 away win at Blackpool. Goals from Danny Jackman, a certain Warren Feeney, and a brace from Luke Beckett condemned Blackpool to their worst home defeat for 4 years, and keeps them rooted to the foot of the table.

Finally Swindon Town secured their first win of the new season, beating Franchise FC 2-1 at the County Ground. Goals from Sam Parkin (23) and Brian Parkin (60) either side of a Allan Smart goal (42) were enough to secure win.