League One Results Round Up (October 24)

Last updated : 24 October 2004 By Andy Burton
What odds that Luton Town will be dragged back in to the pack? They travelled to Hull City and were on the end of a 3-0 drubbing at the KC Stadium. The game was effectively over for the Hatters after just 33 minutes as Hull raced in to a 3-goal lead. The first came from an Elliott 'cross' which eluded every one, and their keeper, to nestle in to the net at the far post! Facey bundled the ball over the line to make it 2 on 22, and just 11 minutes later Elliott scored his second to secure a 3-0 win, and condemn Luton to their third successive defeat. Luton 1st, Hull City 3rd.

The chasing pack in League One had mixed fortunes, but most were victorious. Bradford City now lead the chase for top as they came out victors in the Yorkshire derby at Valley Parade. They were up against Sheffield Wednesday and ran out 3-1 winners. All the goals were reserved for the second period as Symes (59 & 78) and Windass (62) helped to secure the points, although Bullen gave Wednesday hope in the 73 minute. Bradford City 2nd, Sheffield Wednesday 12th.

While Bournemouth were helping themselves to the points at Boundary Park against Oldham Athletic, Brentford were having their 100% home record well and truely demolished by the ever improving Blackpool. In the rain at Griffin Park Murphy (14 & 53) and Taylor (79) secured a fantastic 3-0 away win for the seasiders. Brentford 5th, Blackpool 19th.

After the amazing 4-5 home defeat 7 days ago, Tranmere Rovers went on the raod tol Colchester United and came away with a creditable 2-1 away win. The points were already in the bag through Dagnall (29) and Zola (81) before the home side bagged a consolation theough Halford on 83. Col U 11th, Tranmere 6th.

Huddersfield Town still harbour play-off ambitions after their 3-1 home win over Franchise FC. A half time 3-0 lead more or less secured 3-points for Huddersfield as a brace from Abbott (33 & 45 pen) and Mendes (45) was enough before the Frachisee's were awarded their own penalty with 4 minutes left to play - converted by Chorley. Huddersfield 7th, Franchise Holders 22nd.

Barnsley and Swindon Town battled away to a share of the points at Oakwell. It was looking good for the visitors on 28 minutes when Igow put Swindon ahead. But Chopra (41) and Reid (66) turned things round for Barnsley and looked as if they were heading for their 3rd home win of the season. But they had not reckoned on Roberts levelling matters on 82 minutes, leaving the scores at 2-2. Barnsley 19th, Swindon Town 9th.

Walsall do not look as if they are going to bounce back to the higher level at the first attempt as they went down at home against Bristol City. Matt Fryatt put Walsall 1-up just after half time from the penalty spot. Lita equalised for City on 64, before he secured the points with a stunning shot with just about the last kick of the game to secure a 1-2 away win. Walsall 17th, City 10th.

Peterborough United managed only their 3rd home win of the season, but did so in style as they took Hartlepool United for 3 goals at London Road. Two quick first half strikes through Kennedy (15) and Willock (18) placed the Posh in charge, before Legg secured victory in the 55th minute. Peterborough 18th, Hartlepool United 13th.

Of the other games played yesterday, Chesterfield and Doncaster Rovers drew 0-0 at Saltergate leaving them 8th and 15th respectively. Meanwhile Port Vale and Stockport County arrived at the same result leaving them 14th and 24th respectively.

Torquay United and Wrexham had their match called off because of a waterlogged pitch. They were left in 23rd and 16th respectively.