League One Results Round Up (September 26th)

Last updated : 26 September 2004 By Andy Burton
Luton Town continue to set the pace at the top of League One as they opened up a 9 point game on the chasing pack. The latest victims to fall were Peterborough United, loosing 2-1. Luton netted first through Vine (31), before Woodhouse equalised just after the break (48). Undetered, Luton secured victory in the 57th minute through an Underwood strike.

Leading the chase are Tranmere Rovers. They had the long journey down the M6 & M5 to Torquay United, and came away with a 2-1 win. Hume opened the scoring for the visitors on 2 minutes, before Russell equalised (55) for Torquay. Rovers then had to wait until 3 minutes from the end to secure the points as Hume netted to seal victory.

While Hull City were surprisingly held by Stockport County (now bottom) at the KC Stadium, Brentford joined Hull and Tranmere on 19 points as they won by a single goal at Walsall. The victory came through a Salako penalty on the half hour.

Barnsley pipped Chesterfield to the points with a 1-0 win at Oakwell, but they left it late - until the 87th minute when Kay scored the winner.

Colchester United had to settle for a point in Lancashire, draw 1-1 at Oldham Athletic. Eyres opened the scoring for the home side on 22 minutes, before Halford equalised on 56.

Another side to secure a 1-0 late in the game was Swindon Town. Like Barnsley, they had to wait until the 87th minute for Igoe to seal the win against Bradford City.

Paul Sturrock celebrated his first League game in charge of Sheffield Wednesday with an impressive 3-0 win over Wrexham. MacLean (25), Brunt (55) and Proudlock (62) secured the win at the Racecourse.

Huddersfield Town were probably kicking themselves after seeing 2 points slip from their grasp at Ashton Gate. Town were cruising (or so it seemed) 3-1 with 8 minutes to go before Lita (82 min pen), and Mirfin (90) secured a point for Bristol City. This after Murray had put City in front (9) which saw Town respond through Schofield (28), Abbott (35) and Brandon (60).

Franchise FC clawed themselves out of the bottom-4 with a comprehensive 4-2 win over Hartlepool United. The visitors opened the scoring on 20 through Boyd, but the Franchisee's hit back through McLeod (31 & 57), Small (46) and Smith (50 - pen), before Boyd claimed his second of the game on 87.

Blackpool did themselves a power of good by claiming their first win of the season at Vale Park, running out 3-0 winners over Port Vale. Taylor opened the scoring on 6 minutes leaving Vernon to secure a brace on 27 and 47 minutes. The result lifted Blackpool off the bottom, and up to the giddy heights of 22nd.