League One Review - April 19th

Last updated : 19 April 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Congratulations to Swansea City who claimed the League One title even though they lost at The Liberty Stadium against Yeovil Town! Skiverton gave the Somerset side a 23rd minute lead, with Downes adding to the scoreline in the 60th minute. Robinson pulled one back in the 79th minute to set up an interesting finish, but it was not enough for the Swans to claim a point. Yeovil Town are now safe from the drop. Swansea City 1st, Yeovil Town 17th.

Carlisle United only have automatic promotion to fight for now as they slipped up against Southend United, who have now secured their play-off place. Mulgrew gave the Essex side a 7th minute lead. Hackney levelled for the Cumbrian side at Brunton Park in the 52nd minute, only to see Barnard claim a last gasp winner. Carlisle United 2nd, Southend United 5th.

Doncaster Rovers managed to give themselves a chance to claiming the 2nd automatic promotion place, coming from behind at Brisbane Road, to claim a point against Leyton Orient. Gray gave the home side a 44th minute lead, but saw McCammon level in the 60th minute. Leyton Orient 13th, Doncaster Rovers 3rd.

Nottingham Forest revived their automatic promotion chances with a single goal victory over Luton Town at The City Ground. Tyson scored the only goal of the game in the 67th minute. Nottingham Forest 4th, Luton Town 24th.

Leeds United chalked up their 11th away win of the season with a 2-0 victory over Millwall at The New Den. Prutton gave the Yorkshire side a 70th minute lead, with Hughes making sure of the points in the 79th minute. Millwall 19th, Leeds United 6th.

Brighton & Hove Albion still harbour play-off ambitions following a 2-1 home win over Hartlepool United at Withdean. Murray gave the Seagulls a 38th minute lead. Porter levelled in the 75th minute but saw Cox scoring the winner in the 89th minute. Brighton & Hove Albion 7th, Hartlepool United 15th.

Walsall saw their play-off ambitions die at Bescot as AFC Bournemouth kept alive their chances of survival with their 6th win in 7 matches. Hollands gave the Cherries a 10th minute lead. Betsy levelled for the Saddlers in the 33rd minute, but saw Kuffour restore the lead in the 35th minute. Pitman made sure of the points in the 63rd minute from the penalty spot. Walsall 8th, AFC Bournemouth 22nd.

Tranmere Rovers saw their play-off ambitions die following a 1-0 defeat against mid-table Huddersfield Town at the Galpharm Stadium. Booth scored the only goal of the game in the 61st minute. Huddersfield Town 12th, Tranmere Rovers 9th.

Northampton Town claimed their 11th home win of the season with a 2-0 victory over Oldham Athletic at Sixfields. Coke gave the Cobblers a 51st minute lead, with Gilligan securing the points in the 64th minute. Northampton Town 10th, Oldham Athletic 11th.

Swindon Town ran riot over relegated Port Vale at the County Ground. Peacock (16 mins), Easton (21 mins), Smith (33 mins), McNamee (45 mins) and Timlin (45 mins) gave the home side a 5-0 lead at the break. Joyce left it until the 90th minute to secure a 6-0 home win! Swindon Town 14th, Port Vale 23rd.

Gillingham were 6 minutes away from securing a 3rd away win at the Memorial Ground against Bristol Rovers, but had to settle for a share of the points. Nutter scored for the Gills in the 38th minute, with Elliott levelling for the Gas in the 84th minute. Bristol Rovers 16th, Gillingham 21st.

Crewe Alexandra have just about secured their League One future following a 3-1 home over Cheltenham Town at Gresty Road. A Maynard hat-trick secured the win as he netted in the 14th, 68th and 76th minutes. Gillespie scored what proved to be a consolation in the 62nd minute. The result leaves Cheltenham looking over their shoulders at the prospect of a drop back to League Two. Crewe Alexandra 18th, Cheltenham Town 20th.