League One Review - April 22nd

Last updated : 22 April 2007 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Promoted Scunthorpe United have practically claimed the League One title as they swept Tranmere Rovers aside at Prenton Park in a 2-0 win. Ward put past his own keeper on 55 minutes for Sharp to then double the advantage on 70 minutes. Two games left, a 6-point advantage and a much better goal difference for Scunny! Scunthorpe United 1st, Tranmere Rovers 9th.

Bristol City look certain to go up automatically as well as they made hard work of a trip to Carlisle United. Graham had given United the lead at Brunton Park in the 5th minute. McCombe levelled on the stroke of half time to send the sides in level. Showunmi put the visitors ahead in the 65th minute with Orr making sure of the points in the 84th minute. Carlisle United 8th, Bristol City 2nd.

Nottinham Forest did their best with a 3-0 win over AFC Bournemouth at the City Ground as Commons netted twice for the home side in the 23rd and 54th minutes. Prutton made the result beyond doubt in the 66th. Young was sent off for the Cherries who were reduced to 10-men just before half time. Nottingham Forest 3rd, AFC Bournemouth 19th.

Blackpool still have a slim chance of automatic promotion, but will probably have to settle for the play-offs as they overcame a stubborn Cheltenham Town side, who are still not safe from the drop. Williams gave the Seasiders a 39th minute lead, but saw the advantage disappear as Finnigan levelled from the penalty spot in the 51st minute. Southern scored the winner with 5 minutes to go. Cheltenham Town 20th, Balckpool 4th.

Yeovil Town managed to squeeze a single goal victory over Rotherham United at Huish as Stewart scored the only goal of the game on the stroke of half time. Yeovil Town 5th, Rotherham United 23rd.

Oldham Athletic slipped at just the wrong time, but are hanging on to a play-off place for the moment. They were beaten by Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road as Maynard netted a brace with goals in the 25th and 71st minutes. A consolation came from Wellens in the 85th minute. Crewe Alexandra 12th, Oldham Athletic 6th.

Swansea City are in a good position to nick a play-off spot after their 2-1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion at the Liberty Stadium. Revell had put the Seagulls ahead in the 14th minute, but any thoughts of a 10th away win were scuppered as Duffy netted a brace with goals in the 21st and 41st minutes. Swansea City 7th, Brighton & Hove Albion 17th.

Doncaster Rovers sealed a comfortable 3-0 win over relegated Brentford at the Keepmoat Stadium. Lockwood gave the home side a 45th minute lead. Wilson added to the advantage in the 67th minute as a Guy penalty sealed the points in the 76th minute. Doncaster Rovers 10th, Brentford 24th.

Huddersfield Town confirmed their League One status with a 4-2 home over Millwall at the Galpharm Stadium. But it was the visitors who took the lead through Byfield in the 9th minute, with Collins levelling in the 20th minute. Hudson then fired the home side ahead in the 59th minute, which was followed by a brace from Beckett with goals in the 73rd and 79th minutes. His first coming from the penalty spot. A consolation was scored by Dunne in the 90th minute. Town also had Collins sent off for a second bookable offence with 2 minutes to go. Huddersfield Town 16th, Millwall 11th.

Gillingham look as if they will have a mid-table finish following a 3-2 home win over Port Vale at Priestfield. Cos gave the Kent side a 37th minute lead. This was added to with a brace from Flynn in the 49th and 53rd minutes. Vale then hit back with goals from Whitaker in the 78th and Contantine in the 90th minutes. The latter coming from the penalty spot. Gillingham 13th, Port Vale 14th.

Northampton Town just about sealed the fate for Chesterfield at Sixfields with a 1-0 win over the strugglers. Cox scored the only goal of the game in the 78th minute. The result leaves Chesterfield needing a miracle to stay up. Northampton Town 15th, Chesterfield 22nd.

A classic 6-pointer was battled out at Valley Parade in a must win match for both Bradford City and Leyton Orient. As it turned out, it was Leyton Orient who won with strikes from Alexander (62 mins) and Tann (65 mins) to give themselves a 5-point cushion over the drop zone with 2 matches left. Bradford City 21st, Leyton Orient 18th.