League One Review - April 5th

Last updated : 05 April 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Swansea City could have gained automatic promotion this afternoon, but blew it against AFC Bournemouth, who gave themselves a valuable lifeline in their bid to avoid the drop to League Two. Robinson gave the league leaders a 50th minute lead at the Liberty Stadium only to see Partington score his first league goal in the 90th minute with Kuffour rubbing salt in to the wounds in the 92nd minute to give the Cherries their 3rd win on the bounce. Swansea City 1st, AFC Bournemouth 22nd.

Carlisle United closed the gap at the top of League One to just 4 points after their 2-1 home win over Yeovil Town at Brunton Park. Stewart gave the Somerset side a 38th minute lead, only to see Murphy level in the 77th minute and Dobie claim a 90th minute winner. Carlisle United face Swansea City on Tuesday evening. Carlisle United 2nd, Yeovil Town 16th.

Doncaster Rovers had to come from behind twice against Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield Town at the Galpharm Stadium to claim a point in a 2-2 draw. Williams gave the home side a 7th minute lead. Taylor levelled for the visitors in the 52nd minute. Holdsworth netted to restore the single goal advantage in the 61st minute, only to see Green level in the 84th. Huddersfield Town 14th, Doncaster Rovers 3rd.

Nottingham Forest moved a step closer to claiming a play-off place with a 3-1 win over Cheltenham Town at The City Ground. Gillespie gave the visitors a 20th minute lead, but saw that cancelled out when Agogo levelled 6 minute later. Chambers gave Forest the advantage with a strike just before the break. Agogo effectively wrapped up the points 2 minutes after the re-start. Nottingham Forest 4th, Cheltenham Town 18th.

Southend United also took a step closer the end of season play-offs with a comfortable 3-1 over Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road. Barnard fired the away side in to a 2nd minute lead, with Walker doubling the advantage in the 17th minute. Maynard pulled one back in the 74th minute, but it was not enough as Barnard netted for the second time in the 80th minute. Crewe Alexandra 20th, Southend United 5th.

Leeds United are back in the play-off places following a 2-0 win over Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road. Johnson gave the Yorkshire side a 16th minute lead, with Beckford sealing the win in the 50th minute. Leyton Orient 12th, Leeds United 6th.

Walsall boosted their chances of making the end of season play-offs at the expense of play-off rivals Tranmere Rovers at Bescot. Myrie-Williams gave the visitors a 3rd minute lead, but saw N'Dour level just before the break, and Demontagnac score the winner in the 59th minute. Walsall 8th, Tranmere Rovers 7th.

Port Vale continue to cling to League One (just) following an unlikely win over Brighton & Hove Albion at Withdean. A Richards brace in the 12th and 19th minutes gave Vale a great start. Cox pulled one back for the home side in the 26th minute. Whitaker re-established the 2-goal advantage in the 87th minute, only to see Murray set up an interest last few minutes with a 90th minute strike. Brighton & Hove Albion 9th, Port Vale 23rd.

Oldham Athletic left themselbes with a mountain to climb if they are to make the play-offs following a 3-0 defeat against Swindon Town at the County Ground. Peacock gave the home side a 49th minute lead, which was followed by a brace from Cox on the 53rd and 70th minutes. Swindon Town 15th, Oldham Athletic 10th.

Northampton Town left Luton Town on the brink of relegation following a 2-1 win over the strugglers at Sixfields. A Hubertz penalty in the 34th minute and a Dyer goal in the 41st minute gave the Cobblers a 2-0 lead at the break. Parkin pulled one back in the final few moments, but it was too little too late for the visitors. Not winning next weekend against Brighton & Hove Albion will seal the fate of Luton and consign them to League Two for next season. Northampton Town 11th, Luton Town 24th.

A 1-1 draw between Millwall and Gillingham at the New Den was not enough for either side to ease their relegation fears. The Gills did take a 26th minute lead through Southall, but saw Robinson level in the 75th minute. Millwall 19th, Gillingham 21st.

The only other game in League One saw Bristol Rovers (17th) draw 0-0 with Hartlepool United (13th) at The Memorial Ground.