League One Review - April 9th

Last updated : 09 April 2007 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Scunthorpe United will have to wait a little while longer to confirm automatic promotion as they slipped up at Sixfields against Northampton Town. pearce gave the home side a 16th minute lead, but Sharp levelled in thr 57th. The winner came in the final few moments as Johnson socred in the 90th minute. The win secures Northampton in League One for another season. Scunny will have to wait until their next match to claim a place at the higher level. Northampton Town 13th, Scunthorpe United 1st.

Promotion jitters hit Bristol City as they travelled to Priestfield to face Gillingham. McDonald scored the only goal of the game in the 55th minute for the Kent side as they just about secured their place in League One for next season. Gillingham 17th, Bristol City 2nd.

Nottingham Forest failed to capitalise against Rotherham United at The City Ground as they were held to a 1-1 draw. O'Grady gave the League One strugglers the lead in the 10th minute, but saw Holt level from the penalty spot in the 21st minute. Nottingham Forest 3rd, Rotherham United 23rd.

Blackpool might (!) sneak automatic promotion as they won away at Huddersfield Town, for their 10th away win of the season. Jorgensen (29 mins) and Williams (59 mins) secured the win for the Lancashire side. Huddersfield Town 16th, Blackpool 4th.

Yeovil Town were made to work for their 12th home win of the season as they had to come from behind against Leyton Orient at Huish. Jarvis had given the visitors a half time lead with a strike in the 31st minute. A Gray penalty in the 77th minute levelled matters, with Davies securing the win with a goal in the 83rd minute. Yeovil Town 5th, Leyton Orient 19th.

Bradford City continue to battle against the drop to League Two, but had their survival chances dealt a blow at home against Oldham Athletic. Ashikodi put City ahead in the 65th minute, but saw Glombard level with an 87th minute goal. Bradford City 22nd, Oldham Athletic 6th.

Swansea City maintained their puch for a play-off place with a 3-0 home win over Port Vale at the Liberty Stadium. Trundle set the Swans on their way with a 19th minute opener. This was followed with a brace from Duffy in the 26th and 59th minute. Swansea City 7th, Port Vale 14th.

Carlisle United also harbour play-off ambitions. They did themselves no harm as they overcame AFC Bournemouth at Brunton Park. A Graham penalty in the 3rd minute and a Livesey strike in the 29th minute was enough to set the Cumbrians on their way to victory. A Vokes strike in the 62nd minute set up an interesting finale, which saw the home side score a 3rd goal through McDermott in the 85th minute. Carlisle United 8th, AFC Bournemouth 18th.

Tranmere Rovers had to come from behind to get 3 points against Brighton & Hove Albion at Prenton Park. A Goodison own goal gave the visitors an 11th minute lead, but goals from Curran (76 mins) and a last minute penalty winner from Greenacre gave three points to the home side. Tranmere Rovers 9th, Brighton & Hove Albion 15th.

Millwall all but ended the play-off ambitions of Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmoat Stadium as the London side ran out 2-1 winners. Coppinger gave the home side a 13th minute lead, only to see Williams (38th minute) and Hubertz (83rd minute) seal victory. Doncaster Rovers 11th, Millwall 10th.

Sadly it's goodbye to Brentford who were relegated to League Two for next season. They lost 3-1 away at Crewe Alexandra ...... their 13th away reverse of the season. Vaughan put the Alex ahead in the 18th minute, with Lowe extending the lead in the 23rd minute. O'Connor pulled one back in the 69th minute, but a Maynard 70th minute goal nailed the final nail in the coffin. Crewe Alexandra 12th, Brentford 24th.

Finally, Cheltenham Town (20th) and Chesterfield (21st) fought their way to a 0-0 draw at Whaddon Road.