League One Review - Dec 31st

Last updated : 01 January 2006 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Despite a 0-0 draw against bottom club Swindon Town, Swansea City went back to the top of the table. A blow to Swansea City was the substitution of Trundle, who had to go off with an ankle injury just after the hour mark. Swindon Town 23rd, Swansea City 1st.

After a few weeks of slipping down the League One places, Southend United reclaimed an automatic promotion spot as they beat 10-man AFC Bournemouth 2-1 at Roots Hall. Gray fired the home side ahead with a dubious penalty after 21 mins. Foley levelled for the Cherries in the 70th, before Gutteridge produced a bullet of a shot to claim all 3-points in the 77th minute. Southend United 2nd, AFC Bournemouth 10th.

All this became possible when pre-match leaders Brentford slipped up against Colchester United at Griffin Park. Their 2-0 away win came courtesy of a brace from Yeates who netted in the 29th and 85th minutes. Brentford 3rd, Colchester United 5th.

Huddersfield Town had to work hard for their point in the Yorkshire derby against Barnsley at Oakwell. Burns had given Barnsley a halt time lead with a strike in the 41st minute. That was cancelled out in the 75th minute when Booth levelled in the 75th minute. That sparked a frantic last few minutes as Nardiello put the home side ahead again in the 80th, only to see that cancelled out by Taylor-Fletcher in the 90th! Barnsley 6th, Huddersfield Town 4th.

Chesterfield and Nottingham Forest battled their way through a 0-0 draw at the City Ground. Nottingham Forest 9th, Chesterfield 7th.

Oldham Athletic have picked up some form just recently. Their latest win came at home against Hartlepool United. Beckett and Liddell had given the Latics a 2-0 lead with goals in the 36th and 60th minutes respectively, before Williams pulled one back in the 74th minute. Oldham Athletic 8th, Hartlepool United 16th.

A brace from Constable (45 & 51 mins) for Walsall helped them to a 2-0 home win over Blackpool at Bescot. Walsall 11th, Blackpool 22nd.

Bradford City travelled to Glanford Park to face Scunthorpe United. Another game to produce a 0-0 draw. But City did win the booking count 4-2 in yellows! Scunthorpe United 15th, Bradford City 12th.

Doncaster Rovers lost by a single goal at Millmoor against Rotherham United. The only goal of the game came in the 90th minute as Williamson claimed the goal, and all 3 points for the strugglers! Rotherham United 21st, Doncaster Rovers 13th.

Port Vale slipped to a 2-0 home defeat against inconsistent Tranmere Rovers at Vale Park. Harrison gave the visitors the lead in the 7th, but couldn't be sure of the win until Greenacre scored their second in the 90th. Port Vale 14th, Tranmere Rovers 19th.

Gillingham gave themselves a huge boost at Priestfield with a 3-0 home win over Franchise FC. Johnson gave the Gills the lead in the 26th minute, with Clohessy extending the advantage in the 40th minute. The win was complete in the 89th minute when Pouton scored their 3rd of the afternoon. Gillingham 17th, Franchise FC 24th!

A fine 9178 crowd at Huish saw Yeovil Town draw 1-1 against struggling west country neighbours Bristol City. Poole had given Yeovil a 2nd minute lead, but that was cancelled out in the 49th minute when Heywood levelled. Yeovil Town 18th, Bristol City 20th.