League One Review - Jan 12th

Last updated : 12 January 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Swansea City maintained their push towards the Chempionship with a convincing 3-1 win over crisis club Luton Town at Kenilworth Road. A Keane own goal in the 5th minute was not a good start for the League One strugglers as Bauza added to the added to the advantage in the 64th minute. Furlong gave the home side hope in the 74th minute, but saw any chance of a share of the points slip away when Scotland scored a 3rd for the visitors in the 82nd minute. Luton Town 22nd, Swansea City 1st.

Nottingham Forest romped to a convincing 4-0 home win over Leyton Orient at The City Ground. A Holt brace in the 31st (a penalty) and 54th minutes was enough to send Forest on their way. Commons and Thornhill added further goals in the 72nd and 89th minutes to seal the win. Nottingham Forest 2nd, Leyton Orient 7th.

Doncaster Rovers claimed a vital 3-points over play-off rivals Carlisle United at the Keepmoat Stadium as Hayter scored the only goal of the game in the 84th minute. Doncaster Rovers 4th, Carlisle United 3rd.

Walsall had to settle for a share of the points against Swindon Town at Bescot. Sonko gave the Saddlers a 22nd minute lead, but saw two quick goals from Nicholas and Easton in the 65th and 67th minute to give the visitors the lead. Sonko levelled matters in the 68th minute to ensure a share of the points. Walsall 5th, Swindon Town 12th.

Yeovil Town had to come from behind to rescue a point against Southend United at Roots Hall. Bailey gave the home side a 20th minute lead, with Owusu levelling in the 71st minute. Southend United 11th, Yeovil Town 8th.

Brigton & Hove Albion left it late to salvage a point against Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park. Hughes gave the Latics a 40th minute lead with Elder levelling for the Seagulls in the 90th minute. Oldham Athletic 13th, Brighton & Hove Albion 9th.

Tranmere Rovers slipped at home against Bristol Rovers in their Friday night match at Prenton Park. Williams and Lambert gave the visitors the points with strikes in the 12th and 58th minutes. Tranmere Rovers 10th, Bristol Rovers 17th.

Northampton Town and Hartlepool United had to settle for a share of the points at Sixfields. Dolman gave the home side a 16th minute lead, with Clark levelling on the stroke of halftime for the visitors. Northampton Town 18th, Hartlepool United 14th.

Gillingham claimed just their 2nd away win of the season at the Galpharm Stadium against Huddersfield Town. Brandon had given the home side a 32nd minute lead with Mulligan levelling just before the break. Mulligan gave the visitors a 75th minute lead from the penalty spot, with Facey giving the Kent side a comfortable 3-1 win with an 82nd minute strike. Huddersfield Town 16th, Gillingham 15th.

Four of the bottom five clubs were against each other as Port Vale faced Millwall and Cheltenham Town were up against AFC Bournemouth.
At Vale Park, Port Vale managed to squeeze out Millwall with a 3-1 win. Alexander had given the visitors a 14th minute lead, with Whitaker levelling just 10 minutes later. A brace from Lowe in the 75th and 90th minutes ensure that a vital 3-points remained in the Potteries. Port Vale 23rd, Millwall 20th.

Meanwhile at Whaddon Road, Cheltenham Town left it very late to claim a vital 3-points against a hapless AFC Bournemouth. Bird scored the only goal of the game in the 92nd minute of time! Cheltenham Town 21st, AFC Bournemouth 24th.

The only other game to be played in League One this weekend will see Crewe Alexandra (19th) host Leeds United (6th) in a Sunday match.