League One Review - Jan 1st

Last updated : 01 January 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Swansea City must have thought that they had snuck a win at the County Ground against Swindon Town. Butler gave the Swans an 87th minute lead, but then saw Cos convert a penalty in the final few moments to salvage a point for the home side. The final few moments also saw 3 Swansea players booked as well! Swindon Town 12th, Swansea City 1st.

Nottingham Forest closed the gap on the leaders with a 2-1 win over Huddersfield Town at The City Ground. Jevons gave the visitors a 37th minute lead from the penalty spot. The lead was wiped out in the 68th minute when Cohen levelled. McGugan claimed all three points with a 90th minute winner for Forest. Nottingham Forest 2nd, Huddersfield Town 14th.

Carlisle United maintained the pressure on the top-2 with a 4-2 over Hartlepool United at Brunton Park. Humphreys gave the visitors a 39th minute lead, but saw Garner level 3 minutes later. Humphreys gave the visitors the lead for a 2nd time 3 minute after the break, but saw Smith level (66 mins), Garner score his second (69 mins) and Hackney secure the points (90 mins) for their 8th home win of the season. Carlisle United 3rd, Hartlepool United 15th.

Doncaster Rovers maintained their recent good run with a 1-1 draw at fellow play-off chasers Walsall at Bescot. Price gave Rovers a half time lead, but saw Dann level in the 75th minute to secure a share of the spoils. Walsall 6th, Doncaster Rovers 4th.

Leeds United slipped to their first home defeat of the campaign as Oldham Athletic romped to their 6th away win of the season at Elland Road. A stunning first half by the Latics stunned the home fans as Hazell (28 mins), Trotman (36 mins) and an own goal from Hughes (41 mins) gave the visitors a 3-0 lead at the break. Constantine grabbed one back just after the break. Leeds United 5th, Oldham Athletic 13th.

After their recent improvement, Yeovil Town slipped to a surprise defeat at Kenilworth Road as Luton Town won by a single Andrew goal in the 48th minute. Luton Town 21st, Yeovil Town 8th.

Tranmere Rovers slipped to League One's most inconsistent side at Gresty Road as Crewe Alexandra claimed a 4-3 win. Taylor had given Rovers an 8th minute lead, but saw Roberts level from the penalty spot on the half hour. The lead was restored by the visitors a minute later through Greenacre. Roberts levelled 3 minutes after the break, with Maynard giving the home side a 67th minute lead. McLaren levelled for the visitors in the 74th minute, but saw O'Donnell claim an 89th minute winner for the home side. Crewe Alexandra 17th, Tranmere Rovers 9th.

Brighton & Hove Albion left it VERY late to claim three points against south coast neighbours, and League One strugglers, AFC Bournemouth at Withdean. Revell fired the Seagulls in to a 15th minute lead, but saw the Cherries level through Christophe in the 24th minute. Revell restored the lead in the 58th minute, this time seeing Pitman level in the 79th minute. But it was Revell who had the last laugh as he headed the winner in the 93rd minute of time. Brighton & Hove Albion 10th, AFC Bournemouth 22nd.

Southend United slipped to their 5th home defeat of the season to help ease Bristol Rovers of any relegation fears. The only goal of the game at Roots Hall came in the 57th minute through Williams. Southend United 11th, Bristol Rovers 19th.

Northampton Town must have thought that they had done enough to claim 3-points at Sixfields against Millwall as Bowditch gave the Cobblers a 37th minute lead. Alexander levelled for the visitors in the 90th minute to claim a point. Northampton Town 16th, Millwall 20th.

Leyton Orient (7th) and Gillingham (18th) battled out a 0-0 draw at Brisbane Road.

The remaining game to be played is between the basement clubs as Cheltenham Town (23rd) take on Port Vale (24th) at Whaddon Road on January 2nd.