League One Review - Jan 1st (updated)

Last updated : 02 January 2007 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Scunthorpe United are now top of the table with a single point advantage. The point came courtesy of a 0-0 draw away to Port Vale at Vale Park. Port Vale 11th, Scunthorpe United 1st.

The game of the day in League One was undoubtedly at Boundary Park as Oldham Athletic entertained Nottingham Forest. Warne (30 mins), Porter (39 mins) and a Liddell penalty (43 mins) swept Forest away who were not helped with the dismissal of Clingan in the 21st minute. Cullip also saw red in the 66th minute which resulted in a second Liddell penalty. The rout was completed when Rocastle fired home the 5th for the home side in the final few seconds! Oldham Athletic 2nd, Nottingham Forest 3rd.

Bristol City had to come from behind (again) to collect a point at Brisbane Road against Leyton Orient. Lockwood fired the home side ahead from the penalty spot in the 62nd minute. Johnson salvaged a point with a strike 6 minutes later. Leyton Orient 20th, Bristol City 4th.

Swansea City compounded the woes being suffered by Brentford with a 2-0 win at the Liberty Stadium. Akinfenwa put the home side ahead just before the half hour with an Osborne own goal adding to the Londoners problems just before the break. Swansea City 5th, Brentford 24th.

Yeovil Town are back in the play-off places despite being held to a 0-0 draw by Northampton Town at Huish Park. Yeovil Town 6th, Northampton Town 18th.

Blackpool aided Yeovil's climb by loosing 2-0 at Chesterfield as Hurst (13 mins) and Folan (42 mins) arrested the home sides recent slump in form. Chesterfield 13th, Blackpool 7th.

Tranmere Rovers claimed their 8th home win of the season by condemning Rotherham United to their 6th away defeat at Prenton Park. Sherriff helped himself to a goal in the 28th minute, which was added to by Taylor in the 42nd minute. Facey netted a consolation for the visitors in the 82nd minute. Tranmere Rovers 8th, Rotherham United 22nd.

Doncaster Rovers christened their new Keepmoat Stadium with a fine 3-0 win over Huddersfield Town. A first half strike from McCammon in the 10th minute will go down in the Clubs history as the first goal in the new stadium. This was followed by two quick strikes from Heffernan in the 47th and Forte in the 51st minutes in front of a jubliant 14470 fans! Doncaster Rovers 9th, Huddersfield Town 16th.

Carlisle United bagged a single goal win over Bradford City at Brunton Park when Hawley netted in the 26th minute. Carlisle United 10th, Bradford City 14th.

Gillingham were well and truely thumped by struggling Millwall at The New Den as the home side rattled 4 past the Kent side. Mulligan had put the visitors ahead in the 10th minute, but saw the advantage cancelled out when the home side equalised through Zebroski in the 38th minute. Then came a Byfield hat trick with strikes in the 50th (pen), 79th and 85th minutes to complete the victory. The win moves Millwall out of the drop zone. Millwall 19th, Gillingham 12th.

AFC Bournemouth claimed just their 5th win of the season (all at home) with a last gasp winner against South Coast neighbours Brighton & Hove Albion at Dean Court. Pitman popped up with a poachers goal after the Albion keeper slipped in wet conditions to score in an unguarded net. AFC Bournemouth 21st, Brighton & Hove Albion 15th.

Finally, Cheltenham Town were made to work for a point at Whaddon Road against Crewe Alexandra. Varney had given Crewe a 15th minute lead, but saw Finnigan level in the 31st minute. Neither side could go on to complete the victory. Cheltenham Town 23rd, Crewe Alexandra 17th.