League One Review - Jan 21st

Last updated : 22 January 2006 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
The result of an amazing run of 6 successive wins, and a run of 9 straight wins at home has seen Colchester United rise to the top of League One! Their latest victim came in the form of Port Vale at Layer Road. Garcia had put the Essex side ahead in the 73rd minute which prompted Husbands to level from the penalty spot 5 minutes later. The winner came from Garcia when he netted with 4 minutes to go. Colchester United 1st, Port Vale 14th.

Southend United let top spot slip following a 0-0 draw at Prenton Park against Tranmere Rovers. Tranmere Rovers 15th, Southend United 2nd.

Big spending Swansea City couldn't make any head way either. They were held at home by Hartlepool United. Britton had given the home side the lead i the 19th minute. The home fans must have thought that they'd done enough, until Williams popped up in the final few seconds to snatch an equaliser! Swansea City 3rd, Hartlepool United 18th.

Brentford won the battle between 4th and 5th, beating Huddersfield Town 2-0 at Griffin Park. Owusu fired the home side ahead in the 24th minute, with Campbell securing the win with the home side's second of the match in the 76th minute. Brentford 4th, Huddersfield Town 5th.

Barnsley componded the woes of the Franchise Holders aa the home side struck with 2 quick second half goals to secure a vital win. Richards put the home side ahead in the 76th minute, with Hassell scoring the second 2 minutes later. Barnsley 6th, Franchise FC 24th.

Chesterfield battled to earn a point against Walsall at Saltergate. Timms had fired the Saddlers ahead in the 32nd minute, with the veteran Allison levelling 3 minutes later. Smith restored the away sides lead 4 minutes after the restart, but had to settle for a point as Hurst levelled in the 79th minute. Chesterfield 7th, Walsall 16th.

Oldham Athletic left it late to claim the points against Gillingham at Boundary Park. Beckett made sure of the win with a brace in the 83rd and 86th minutes. Oldham Athletic 8th, Gillingham 17th.

Nottingham Forest were held to a draw on their travels by Rotherham United. Tyson had put the visitors ahead in the 33rd minute, but Shaw levelled in the 85th minute to claim a share of the points for the home side. Rotherham United 22nd, Nottingham Forest 9th.

Swindon Town did their powers of survival no harm as they closed the gap on safety with a flattering 4-2 home win over AFC Bournemouth at the County Ground. Cureton put the home side ahead in the 36th minute which was added to just after the break by Miglioranzi in the 51st minute. The Cherries then battled back through Rodrigues (58) and a Hayter penalty (67) to level the scores. Fallon restored the lead fore the home side in the 78th minute, and the win complete by Peacock in the 90th! Swindon Town 23rd, AFC Bournemouth 10th.

Bradford City notched up an away win at Huish Park through a Windass goal in the 86th minute against Yeovil Town. Yeovil Town 13th, Bradford City 11th.

Doncaster Rovers won in the local derby against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park. Goodwin gave the home side the lead in the 48th minute. McIndoe levelled in the 62nd with Lee securing the win in the 88th. Torpey (for Scunny) and Coppinger (for Donny) were sent off in the 89th minute. Scunthorpe United 18th, Doncaster Rovers 12th.

Struggling Blackpool and Bristol City couldn't be separated at Bloomfield Road in a 1-1 draw. Murphy put the home side ahead in the 4th minute, but that was cancelled out by Stewart in the 25th. Blackpool 21st, Bristol City 20th.