League One Review - Jan 21st

Last updated : 21 January 2012 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

Charlton Athletic continue to lead the way in League One with a win over their nearest rivals, Sheffield United, at The Valley. The only goal of the game in the 21st minute when Jackson fired home. The game also finished 4-4 in yellow cards, 5 of which were shown in the final 10 minutes of the game as tempers flared, which also saw 2 players shown red for violent conduct. Charlton Athletic 1st, Sheffield United 3rd.

Huddersfield Town took full advantage of the slip as they managed to edge Brentford at the Galpharm despite the Bees taking a 2-goal lead through an Alexander brace in the 21st and 29th minutes - the first coming from the penalty spot. The comeback started through Lee in the 41st minute, with McCombe levelling deep in to first half stoppage time. The turn around was complete when Rhodes gave the Terriers the lead 5-minutes after the re-start. Huddersfield Town 2nd, Brentford 9th.

Sheffield Wednesday couldn't take advantage of their City neighbours slip in SE London as Hartlepool United managed to walk away from Hillsborough with a point to show for their efforts. Hartley put Pools ahead in the 47th minute, with the Owls responding through Johnson (58th min) and Madine (75th min) leaving Sweeney to salavage a point in the 87th minute. Sheffield Wednesday 4th, Hartlepool United 13th.

Franchise FC lost ground on the leading 2, being held 1-1 at Meadow Lane against Notts County. Flanagan gave the Franchise holders the lead in the 26th minute, with J Hughes levelling for the Magpies, from the penalty spot, in the 81st minute. Notts County 14th, Franchise FC 5th.

Stevenage Borough also dropped points in the race for the end of season play-offs, being held by struggling Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park. Thompson gave Scunny the lead in the 47th minute, leaving Charles to salvage a point for the visitors in the 84th minute. Scunthorpe United 6th, Scunthorpe United 19th.

Carlisle United found themselves frustrated when Walsall raided Brunton Park for a share of the spoils. Miller had given the Cumbrians a 7th minute lead only to see Nicholls level, for the Saddlers from the penalty spot, in the 82nd minute. Carlisle United 7th, Walsall 20th.

AFC Bournemouth closed to within 2-points of a play-off place following a 2-1 win over Tranmere Rovers at Dean Court despite Devaney giving Rovers the lead in the 4th minute. Thomas levelled for the Cherries in the 18th minute, with Pugh scoring what proved to be the winner in the 30th minute. AFC Bournemouth 8th, Tranmere Rovers 17th.

Bury managed to edge Yeovil Town at Gigg Lane in a 3-2 win over the Somerset strugglers. Schumacher gave the home side the lead in the 8th minute only to see Dickson level 2 minutes later. Skarz put Bury ahead in the 21st minute. Then in a bizarre moment a 4-man arguement broke out as to who was going to take a Bury penalty, which resulted in 2 Bury players being booked. The arguement was won by Schumacher who converted the penalty, and then celebrated the goal virtually on his own! MacLean pulled one back for the Glovers in the 87th minute, but it was too little too late to make a difference. Bury 10th, Yeovil Town 21st.

Preston North End are looking for their first win under their new manager as Leyton Orient recorded their 5th away win of the season - 2-0 at Deepdale. Goals from Laird (67th min) and Smith (80th min) secured the win. Preston North End 11th, Leyton Orient 12th.

Inconsistent Colchester United handed Chesterfield just their 2nd away win of the campaign as the Spirites left Essex with a 2-1 win. lester gave the visitors the lead in the 6th minute, with Gillespie levelling in the 32nd minute. The winner came just before the half time break when Thompson found the back of the net. Colchester United 15th, Chesterfield 24th.

Wycombe Wanderers managed to leap frogged Rochdale in the race to stay in League One as the Chairboys recorded a 3-0 home win at Adams Park. A brace from Beavon (32nd & 73rd mins) with Winfield rounding things off 2 minutes later to give the home side their 4th home win of the season. Wycombe Wanderers 22nd, Rochdale 23rd.

Oldham Athletic (16th) and Exeter City (18th) ended their encounter at Boundary Park with a 0-0 draw.