League One Review - Jan 28

Last updated : 29 January 2006 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Southend United reclaimed top spot from their Essex rivals with a 2-0 win over hapless Swindon Town at Roots Hall. Theor goals came from Guttridge and Gower in the 30th and 31st minutes. Southend United 1st, Swindon Town 23rd.

Huddersfield Town had to come back from 0-2 down after 32 minutes to claim 3-points against Oldham Athletic at the Galpharm Stadium. Porter fired the visitors ahead in the 12th minute, which was added to by Beckett in the 32nd minute. A Branston own goal just before the break gave Huddersfield something to cling to as Abbott levelled just after the restart. Graham gave the home side victory in the 58th minute. Huddersfield Town 3rd, Oldham Athletic 8th.

Bristol City picked up a vital 3-points against high flying Swansea City at Ashton Gate. The only goal of the game came on the stroke of half time from a Carey strike. Bristol City may have won the goal count, but Swansea City won the card count. A remarkable 8 players were shown cards ..... 3 just before half time! Williams was shown a second yellow in the 82nd minute. Bristol City 19th, Swansea City 4th.

Barnsley won the live TV match on Fridat night against Nottingham Forest at the City Ground. A Richards brace in the 14th and 30th minutes were enough to secure the points for the Yorkshire side. Nottingham Forest 9th, Barnsley 5th.

Chesterfield left Dean Court with a rare win on the South Coast against AFC Bournemouth. Allison opened the scoring in the 24th minute, with Hayter levelling from the spot in the 65th minute. The winner came from O'Hara in the 73rd minute. AFC Bournemouth 11th, Chesterfield 7th.

Blackpool claimed a vital 3-0 away win over Hartlepool United at the Victoria Ground. A Clarke brace from the penalty spot in the 27th and 73rd minutes followed with a Parker strike in the 81st minute sealed a fine win for the seasiders. Hartlepool United 21st, Blackpool 16th.

Gillingham and Rotherham United battled away for a share of the spoils at Priestfield. Williamson gave the visitors the lead in the 53rd minute, before Grant levelled in the 62nd minute.

Bradford City and Tranmere Rovers generated a 0-0 at Valley Parade, which leaves them 10th and 14th respectively.

Doncaster Rovers (12th), Yeovil Town (13th), Scunthorpe United (20th) and Franchise FC (24th) were all left without games because their respective opponents were involved in the FA Cup.

Of the four League One sides to reach the Fourth Round of the FA Cup, Port Vale (15th) slipped away to Aston Villa. A Baros brace in 69th and 73rd minutes killed off Vale resistance before Lowndes pulled one back in the 84th, but the tie was made safe by Davis in the 90th.

Brentford (6th) marched on the Fifth round with a 2-1 win over hapless Sunderland at Griffin Park. Campbell put the home side ahead in the 56th minute. Arca levelled for the Premiership strugglers in the 65th, but Campbell put the Bees in to the 5th round draw with an 88th minute strike.

Colchester United's (2nd) remarkable run continued at Layer Road against Championship side Derby County with a fine 3-1 win. A Danns brace in the 43rd and 51st minutes, followed by a Garcia 58th minute strike guaranteed Essex participation in Round 5 before a Smith penalty in theb 78th minute gave County a life line.

Stoke City ended the run of Walsall (17th) in the Cup with a 2-1 win at the Britannia Stadium. Sidibe in the 44th, Chadwick in the 48th minutes gave City a 2-goal lead before James pulled one back in the 50th for the League One side. But it was not enough.