League One Review - Jan 29th

Last updated : 29 January 2011 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

The Football LeagueThe highest ranked side in League action was AFC Bournemouth who headed west along the coast to face Plymouth Argyle at Home Park. Pugh gave the Cherries the lead in the 18th minute, with Fallon levelling in the 71st minute. The Cherries winner came 6 minutes from time when Fletcher scored from close range to secure teh Cherries first ever league double over the Devon side. Plymouth Argyle 15th, AFC Bournemouth 2nd.

Oldham Athletic were pegged back by a dogged Carlisle United at Brunton Park as both sides battled their way to a 2-2 draw. White (8th min) and Taylor (33rd min) gave the Latics a goal lead, while Zoko (75th min) and a Berrett (94th min pen) salvaged a point for the home side. Carlisle United 11th, Oldham Athletic 5th.

Peterborough United slipped to their 7th away defeat following a 2-1 slip against Colchester United at the Community Stadium. A first minute strike from Rowe was as good as it got for the Posh as Gillespie (37th min) and Mooney (86th min) secured the win for the Us. Colchester United 9th, Peterborough United 7th.

Yeovil Town boosted their chances of League One suvival with a late winner in SW London against Brentford at Griffin Park. Johnson gave the Somerset side the lead in the 22nd minute with MacDonald levelling 6 minutes before the break. Wotton scored the winner for the visitors in the 83rd minute. Brentford 17th, Yeovil Town 21st.

The biggest win of the day came at Bescot as struggling Walsall came up against Bristol Rovers, who appear to be in free-fall at the moment as the Saddlers recorded a cracking 6-1 win over the hapless Pirates. Hughes scored the consolation for the west country side as Butler (17th & 73rd mins), Gill (34th min), Gray (45th min), Richards (50th min), Nicholls (69th min) ran riot over their hosts who were sent packing back down the M5 with tails between their legs! Walsall 23rd, Bristol Rovers 22nd.

Swindon Town (19th) and Exeter City (13th) could only manage a 0-0 draw at The County Ground.

The FA CupAway from the league, a number of League One sides are still involved in ths FA Cup ............ league leaders Brighton & Hove Albion posted their Championship credentials with a 1-0 over Championship side Watford at Vicorage Road as Barnes scored the only goal of the game in the 16th minute.

Sheffield Wednesday eased their way in to the next round of the FA Cup against Hereford United at Hillsborough - but not before the Bulls scored first through Fleetwood in the 9th minute. Any thoughts of an upset were dismissed when Potter (15th min), Morrison (pens in the 69th and 79th mins) and Johnson (77th min) made the job look easy.

Another side through to the next round is Leyton Orient who posted a fine 2-1 win over Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium. Smith gave the O's the lead in the 35th minute only to see Van der Gun level on the stroke of half time. A Tate own goal in the 88th minute was enough to see the east London side squeak through.

South Coast Club failed to make it through against Manchester United at St Mary's, despite taking the lead through Chaplow on the stroke of half time. Owen (65th min) and Hernandez (75th min) managed to ease the Old Trafford club through in the end.

Sunday's FA Cup action involving League One sides sees Huddersfield Town visit Arsenal, and Notts County host Manchester City.