League One Review - Jan 2nd

Last updated : 03 January 2006 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
A few weeks ago it looked as if the wheels had come off for Southend United as they were slipping down to 6th in the League One table. Today, after the first match of the new year, they find themselves heading the way after a late winner against Blackpool at Bloomfield Road. Bentley had put the visitors ahead in the 38th minute, but this was cancelled out by Parker with 15 minutes to go. Then, just as it seemed that a draw was the most likely outcome, Eastwood popped up with a last minute winner to claim 3 points. Blackpool 22nd, Southend United 1st.

Top spot was surrendered by Swansea City as they were held at home (0-0) by Port Vale. Missing Trudle? Swansea City 2nd, Port Vale 16th.

Bradford City entertained Brentford at Valley Parade, a game which cooked up a 6-goal thriller. Campbell fired Brentford in to a 2 goal lead within the opening 30 minutes as he found the net in the 3rd and 27th minutes. The latter coming from the penalty spot. Bridge-Wilkinson pulled one back before the break. Sodje restored the 2-goal cushion for the Bees in the 58th minute. This set up City for a come back to restore parity as Wetherall pulled it back to 2-3 in the 77th minute, leaving Bridge-Wilkinson to level from the penalty spot in the 88th minute to complete the comeback! Bradford City 11th, Brentford 3rd.

Colchester United and Nottingham Forest left it until the final 20 minutes to get amoung the goals at Layer Road. Danns had given the Essex side the lead, before Tyson levelled for Forest in the 89th minute. At this stage a point each you'd think! WRONG! There was still enough injury time for Yeates and Garcia to score deep in to injury time to give the home side a convincing win. Colchester United 4th, Nottingham Forest 9th.

It's not looking good for Franchise FC as they are now 7 points adrift of safety at the bottom of League One. The latest team to take the points were Oldham Athletic at the National Hockey Stadium as Beckett scored the only goal of the game on 42 minutes. Franchise FC 24th, Oldham Athletic 8th.

AFC Bournemouth and Scunthorpe United battled out a non-event of a 1-1 draw at Dean Court. Sharp had given Sunny the lead on 6 minutes from a cross which landed in the back of the net via the far post. The Cherries had to wait until 5 minutes from time when Hayter pounced for his 13th of the season. AFC Bournemouth 10th, Scunthorpe United 17th.

Walsall managed to visit Ashton Gate at the wrong time as they were well beaten 3-0 by Bristol City. Murray gave City a 2-goal cushion within the opening half hour, leaving Wilkshire to finish off in the 87th minute. Bristol City 20th, Walsall 12th.

On a day when the lower placed sides were getting their way over those in mid table, Doncaster Rovers obliged in that pattern by allowing Jevons to score in the 11th minute to given Yeovil Town a 1-0 away win at Belle Vue. Doncaster Rovers 13th, Yeovil Town 14th.

Have Tranmere Rovers finally turned the corner? They produced a 3-2 home win over Rotherham United at Prenton Park and are just a few points off a possible play-off place! Barker had given the visitors the lead in the 13th minute, but this was cancelled out by Greenacre on the stroke of half time. Zola then fired Rovers in to the lead in the 53rd minute, before Harrison established a 2-goal lead in the 61st minute. Hoskins scored for Rotherham in the 76th minute to set up an interesting finish, but an equaliser was not forthcoming. Tranmere Rovers 15th, Rotherham United 21st.

Hartlepool United and Swindon Town could only manage a 1-1 draw at the Victoria Ground. Strachan gave United the lead on the stroke of half time before Fallon levelled with 13 minutes to go. Hartlepool United 18th, Swindon Town 23rd.

Of the other games, they produced 0-0 draws as Huddersfield Town (5th) couldn't break the deadlock against Gillingham (19th), which was also the case between Chesterfield (7th) and Barnsley (6th).