League One Review - Jan 5th

Last updated : 06 January 2013 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

The FA Cup

Starting in the FA Cup Third Round where League One was well represented on one of the most anticipated days of the footballing calendar.

Oldham Athletic caused one of the big shocks of the day by knocking out Championship side Nottingham Forest at the City Ground. Smith might have put past his own keeper to give Forest a 13th minute lead, but a brace from Simpson in the 54th and 58th minutes turned the game on its' head, with Baxter rounding off a mad 7 minutes with a 3rd goal for the Oldham in the 61st minute. Sharp netted a consolation in the 95th minute for a side who harshly sacked Sean O'Driscoll last month.

No other giant killings to report, but a host of League One sides live to fight again having claimed replays in their respective matches. The biggest of which came when Premiership Wigan Athletic had to come from behind to salvage a replay against AFC Bournemouth at the DW Stadium. O'Kane gave the Cherries the lead in the 41st minute, with the hosts having to rely on a generous decision from the match officials to claim a penalty in the 70th minute. Although the initial penalty was saved, the rebound was coverted.

Leyton Orient will be kicking themselves as Championship side Hull City came back to salvage a replay at the KC Stadium. Mooney gave the O's the lead in the 78th minute only to see Proschwitz level in the 94th minute.

Shock or not? Franchise FC held Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough to a 0-0 draw.

Sheffield United are safely through as they managed to ease past Oxford United at the Kassam Stadium. Goals from McMahon (17th min), Kitson (68th min) and Blackman (87th min) sealed the win and a place in the Fourth Round.

Brentford must go again against Southend United after the Essex side managed to come back to claim a 2-2 draw. Adeyemi (29th min) gave the Bees the lead with Cresswell doubling the advantage as he put past his own keeper. A brace from Corr (39th & 54th mins) took the match to a replay at Griffin Park.

Dumped out at the Third Round stage went Crawley Town who went out against Reading despite taking the lead after just 14 seconds through Adams. The Premiership outfit hit back with goals from Le Fondre (13th & 49th mins - the latter coming from the penalty spot) and Hunt (44th min).

Preston North End were edged out by a Feeney goal at Millwall in the 31st minute.

Coventry City were eased out by Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane as a brace from Dempsey (14th & 37th mins) and one from Bale (33rd min) saw the Premiership side through.

Tranmere Rovers shipped another 5-goals, this time Derby County were the victors at Pride Park. Goals from Davies (42nd min), Sammon (54th min), Brayford (63rd min), Hendrick (72nd min) and Bennett (87th min) proved to be too much for the League One leaders.

League action saw Doncaster Rovers slip in to the automatic promotion places as they edged Colchester United 1-0 at the Keepmoat. Cotterill scored the only goal in the 84th minute, and was promptly booked for his efforts! Doncaster Rovers 2nd, Colchester United 20th.

Swindon Town tightened their grip on a play-off place with an emphatic 4-0 win over Carlisle United at The County Ground. A Williams brace (16th & 55th minutes) plus goals from Collins (36th min) and Ritchie (63rd min) proved to be all too much for the hapless Cumbrians. Swindon Town 5th, Carlisle United 18th.

Stevenage Borough arrested recent poor form with a 2-1 win over Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road, even though Aneke gave the Alex the lead in the 32nd minute. Borough hit back with 2 quick second half goals from Akins (55th min) and Haber (60th min) to seal victory. Crewe Alexandra 11th, Stevenage Borough 9th.

Walsall's climb away from the drop zone continued on Friday evening as Portsmouth fell victim at Bescot. Brandy (29th min) and Grigg (40th min) proved to be more than enough for hapless Pompey. Walsall 14th, Portsmouth 22nd.

The game between Scunthorpe United (21st) and Shrewsbury Town (17th) at Glanford Park ended 0-0.