League One Review - Jan 8

Last updated : 08 January 2006 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
In League One, there were only a handful of matches taking place due to FA Cup action.

Of those playing, Southend United were held on their travels by Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park in a 0-0 draw. Oldham Athletic 7th, Southend United 1st.

Chesterfield left it late to claim their win over Bradford City at Saltergate. Smith left it until the 88th minute to claim the winner. Chesterfield 6th, Bradford City 12th.

Tranmere Rovers and AFC Bournemouth fought out another 0-0 draw at Prenton Park. This game saw few opportunities throughout the 90 mins! Tranmere Rovers 14th, AFC Bournemouth 9th.

A few weeks ago Yeovil Town were on the edge of the bottom 4. Following their 2-0 home win over Hartlepool United, they are now just 6-points off the play-off places. Jevons netted a brace with goals in the 25th and 59th minutes. Yeovil Town 10th, Hartlepool United 18th.

Meanwhile in the FA Cup 9 League One clubs were in action. here's what they got up to!

Barnsley and Walsall live to fight another day as they could not be split in a 1-1 draw at Oakwell. Both goals came in 3 second half minutes as James put the Saddlers ahead in the 73rd minute. The equaliser came from Hayes 3 minutes later.

Huddersfield Town did League One proud and scored against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge! Cole had put the English Champions ahead in the 11th minute, but this didn't stop Taylor-Fletcher from levelling the scores in the 74th minute. The prospect of a replay was snuffed out when Gudjohnsen scored the winner in the 81st minute.

Scunthorpe United must have thought that they were on to something good at the City of Manchester Stadium as they took the lead against Manchester City in the 16th minute through Keogh. Sadly it wasn't to be as Fowler netted a second half hat trick (47, 55 and 63 minutes), the last one coming from the penalty spot.

Colchester United are one of three League One sides to have guaranteed a place in the Fourth Round of the FA Cup. Their victory came at the expense of Championship side Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. Kabba had put the hosts ahead in the 4th minute. A Danns strike levelled in the 32nd minute, with Williams left to score in the 71st minute to set up the cup upset.

No matter what you might think of Franchise FC, they gave Southampton a run for their money at St Mary's! It all started to form as the south coast side took the lead in the 39th minute through Prutton. A Lundekvam own goal levelled matters in the 58th minute before Quashie restored the lead for Southampton a minute later. Walcott must have thought that he'd made the cup win safe with his strike in the 65th minute! Then Rizzo (78th minute) and Edds (83rd minute) brought Franchise FC back level! The winner for Southampton was left until the 87th minute for Kenton to score and book a place in the Fourth Round! Lucky Saints!

Brentford made it through to the next round of the cup with a 3-2 win over Conference bound Stockport County at Edgeley Park. Owusu put the visitors ahead in the 12th minute, but this was cancelled out by Easter in the 16th. Briggs gave the home side hope as they went ahead in the 47th, but it was not to be as Campbell levelled for the Bees in the 64th minute. Rankin then completed the job for the Londoners with an 83rd minute winner.

The only other League One involvement in the FA Cup came on Friday night between Port Vale and Doncaster Rovers. Heffernan gave Rovers the lead in the 26th minute. Togwell then ensured progress for the home side with a brace in the 54th and 72nd minutes.

Swansea City, Nottingham Forest, Gillingham, Bristol City, Rotherham United, Blackpool, and Swindon Town were all left without a game.