League One Review - Jan 8th

Last updated : 11 January 2011 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

FL LogoIn the League, AFC Bournemouth took advantage of others being involved in Cup action as the Cherries swept Plymouth Argyle away with a 3-0 win at Dean Court. Goalds from Hollands (4th min), Feeney (38th min) and a Pugh penalty (55th min) gave the Cherries a deserved win. AFC Bournemouth 2nd, Plymouth Argyle 14th.

Exeter City were pegged back by Franchise FC at St James's Park in a 1-1 draw. Cureton gave the Grecians the lead in the 8th minute, only to see Ibehre level in the 73rd minute. Exeter City 15th, Franchise FC 8th.

Oldham Athletic and Swindon Town met at Boundary Park, with the Latics chalking up a 2-0 win with goals from Taylor (4th min) and Stephens (88th min pen). Oldham Athletic 9th, Swindon Town 18th.

Rochdale managed to edge past Dagenham & Redbridge at Victoria Road with a 1-0 win as O'Grady scored the only goal of the game in the 74th minute. Dagenham & Redbridge 23rd, Rochdale 11th.

Yeovil Town aided their battle against the drop with a 2-0 win over Brentford at Huish Park. Goals from Huntington (32nd min) and Williams (59th min) leaves the Somerset side 3 points adrift of safety. Yeovil Town 21st, Brentford 13th.

Tranmere Rovers and Walsall shared 6-goals between them as they battled their way to a 3-3 draw at Prenton Park. Richards gave the Saddlers the lead in the 32nd minute, but must have feared the worse when Rovers hit back through a Richards own goal (41st min), Cresswell (first half stoppage time) and Elford-Alliyu (56th min). To their credit the bottom side hit back to snatch a point with goals from Macken (85th min) and Butler in the 94th min. Tranmere Rovers 20th, Walsall 24th.

The FA CupIn the FA Cup Third round, a number of League One sides were still involved ......
Brighton & Hove Albion claimed the scalp of last seasons finalists Portsmouth at Withdean. Wood gave the Seagulls the lead in the 26th minute, which was added to by Barnes in first half stoppage time. Kilbey pulled one back for Pompey in the 88th minute, only to see Sandaza secure a place in the 4th round with a goal in the 91st minute.

South Coast Club claimed the scalp of Blackpool at St Mary's with a 2-0 win. Barnard (53rd min) and Guly (88th min) netted the goals to guide the Saints through against their Premiership opponents.

Two quick first half goals by Arfield (7th min) and Roberts (8th min) eased Huddersfield Town through to the next round against non-league Dover Athletic at the Galpharm Stadium.

Sheffield Wednesday caused a bit of an upset themselves with a 3-0 victory over Bristol City at Ashton Gate. Goals from Teale (49th min), Mellor (55th min) and Morrison (65th min) was enough to book the Owls place in the Fourth Round.

Peterborough United were blown away by Fulham at Craven Cottage as the Premiership side ran away with a comfortable 6-2 win. Kamara netted a hat trick (32nd, 59th and 76th mins), which was added to Etuhu (first half stoppage time) and gera (66th min), before the Posh netted through Tomlin (71st min) and McCann (86th min), but any threat of an unlikely comeback was put to rest when Greening completed the scoring 3 minutes later.

Hartlepool United were eased out of the Cup by Watford at Vicorage Road, despite going ahead through Sweeney on the stroke of half time. Different story in the second period as Mingoia (66th min), Sordell (68th & 82nd mins) and Graham (90th min) helped the Championship side through.

Colchester United were swept aside in South Wales as Swansea City ran away with a 4-0 win at The Liberty Stadium. Goals from Monk (25th min), Pratley (35th min), Van der Gun (68th min) and Sinclair (82nd min) was more than enough for the Welsh side to progress.

Notts County upset the form guide with a 2-1 away win over Premiership Sunderland at the Stadium Of Light. Westcarr (5th min) and Hughes (75th min) set the win up, but had a nervy final few minutes to play out when bent netted from the penalty spot in the 81st minute - but it was too little too late.

Carlisle United made the long trip to Torquay United, but failed to make any impression as the Devon side edged the Cumbrians out with a 1-0 win at Plainmoor. O'Kane scored the only goal of the game in the 6th minute.

League One strugglers, Leyton Orient caused an upset by beating Norwich City at Carrow Road. The O's only goal of the game came in the 20th minute when Smith set up the 'giant killing'.

Managerless Charlton Athletic are due to visit White Hart Lane to face Tottenham Hotspurs on Sunday.