League One Review - March 15th

Last updated : 15 March 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Swansea City slipped to just their 3rd away defeat of the campaign as they lost to Northampton Town at Sixfields. The Cobblers were on fire as they raced in to a 3-goal lead within the opening half an hour. Hubertz gave the home side a 1-0 lead on 14 minutes, which was added to by an own goal by Tate 6 minutes later, with Hubertz doubling his tally for the afternoon in the 23rd minute. Scotland pulled one back for the visitors in the 29th minute. Jackman re-established the 3-goal advantage in the 52nd minute, but this was reduced by Scotland with 7 minutes left. Northampton Town 11th, Swansea City 1st.

Doncaster Rovers could not capitalise as they slipped up as well. Their 5th away defeat came on the south coast at Withdean against Brighton & Hove Albion. The only goal of the game came in the 57th minute through Forster. Brighton & Hove Albion 9th, Doncaster Rovers 2nd.

Carlisle United had the chance to sneak in to the automatic promotion places, but were thwarted by Swindon Town at the County Ground. Cox gave the home side a 61st minute lead, with Bridge-Wilkinson levelling in the 64th minute. Sturrock restored the home sides advantage in the 80th minute, only to see Murphy level in the 86th minute. Swindon Town 14th, Carlisle United 3rd.

Play-Off rivals, Nottingham Forest and Walsall had to settle for a share of the points at the City Ground as Ormerod gave Forest a 49th minute lead, but saw team mate Wilson put past his own keeper in the 54th minute. Nottingham Forest 4th, Walsall 6th.

Southend United consolidated their push for the end of season play-offs and a quick return to the higher level, with a 2-1 win over Huddersfield Town at the Galpharm Stadium, their 7th away success. Robson-Kanu gave the Essex side a 40th minute lead, with Booth levelling for the home side in the 73rd minute. With the game heading for a draw, McCormack popped up with a 90th minute winner. Huddersfield Town 15th, Southend United 5th.

After some questionable results in the last few weeks, Tranmere Rovers got their season back on track with a 3-1 win over Hartlepool United at Prenton Park. Greenacre gave the home side a 36th minute lead. The advantage was doubled in the 64th minute when Nelson put past his own keeper. Humphreys salvaged one back for the visitors before Sherriff restored the 2-goal advantage in the 90th minute. Tranmere Rovers 7th, Hartlepool United 13th.

Leyton Orient managed to notch up their 7th away of the season against London rivals Millwall at the New Den. Gray scored the only goal of the game in the 50th minute. Millwall 18th, Leyton Orient 8th.

Leeds United somehow managed to let slip a 2-0 half time lead against lowly Port Vale at Vale Park. The Yorkshire side scored two quick goals in the 39th and 41st minutes through Marques and Freedman. The League One bottom side hit back, drawing level with 2 quick goals themselves through Harsley (65th min pen) and Whitaker (67th min) to draw level. Freedman scored his second of the afternoon in the 86th minute before Rodgers levelled for the home side with the last kick of the game. Port Vale 24th, Leeds United 10th.

On a good day for the sides right at the foot of the table, Luton Town managed to claim their 9th home success of the season with a comfortable 3-0 win over Oldham Athletic at Kenilworth Road. Goals from Charles, Spring (penalty) and Emanuel in the 20th, 33rd and 35th minutes proved to be enough to overwhelm the Latics. Luton Town 23rd, Oldham Athletic 12th.

Cheltenham Town gave themselves some day light in their battle to stay up with a 1-0 win over Bristol Rovers at Whaddon Road. Brooker scored the only goal of the game in the 80th minute. Cheltenham Town 19th, Bristol Rovers 16th.

AFC Bournemouth boosted their slim chances of remaining in League One with a 2-0 win over Yeovil Town at Dean Court. Hollands (10 mins) and Vokes (32 mins) scored the goals which eventually meant that the Somerset side left with nothing on a wet day on the South Coast. AFC Bournemouth 22nd, Yeovil Town 17th.

In a classic relegation 6-pointer, Crewe Alexandra came out on top against Gillingham at Priestfield, leaving the Kent side 4 points adrift of safety who also have an inferior goal difference. Pope gave the visitors a 9th minute lead, which was added to by Maynard in the 50th minute and Morgan in the 56th minute to leave the Kent-side in tatters and deep in relegation trouble. Gillingham 21st, Crewe Alexandra 20th.