League One Review - March 24th

Last updated : 25 March 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Are Swansea City going to go up as Champions of League One? They may be out in front at the moment, but they keep on slipping up, and the Easter Monday evening live game on Sky Sports was no exception agsinst Bristol Rovers at the Liberty Stadium. Lambert (14 mins) and Disley (36 mins) gave Rovers an unlikely 2-0n half time lead. Leading scorer, Scotland, then stepped with two magnificent strikes in the second half after 50 and 84 minutes to rescue a point. Swansea City 1st, Bristol Rovers 18th.

Carlisle United closed the gap at the top of League One as they claimed all 3-points against Northampton Town at Brunton Park - their 16th home League win of the season. Livesey fired the home side ahead in the 50th minute, with Bridge-Wilkinson ensuring that the points remained in Cumbria in the 84th minute. Carlisle United 2nd, Northampton Town 12th.

Doncaster Rovers are slowly slipping off the automatic promotion places following a draw at the Keepmoat Stadium against Oldham Athletic. Heffernan gave the home side a 37th minute lead, only to see Jarrett level in the 52nd minute. Doncaster Rovers 3rd, Oldham Athletic 11th.

Nottingham Forest (4th) and Brighton & Hove Albion (6th) maintained their push for a play-off place even thought they could only draw 0-0 at the City Ground.

Southend United have moved deeper in to play-off territory with a 1-0 away win, their 8th on the road this season, over Swindon Town at the County Ground. Francis scored the only goal of the game in the 18th minute. Swindon Town 15th, Southend United 5th.

Tranmere Rovers saw their chances of making the end of season play-offs dented on the South Coast as strugglers, AFC Bournemouth claimed a 2-1 win at Dean Court, which delays their inevitable relegation. A Goodison own goal after 30 seconds was just the start the Cherries needed, with Kuffour adding to the tally in the 34th minute. A Kay goal in the 86th minute proved to be just a consolation. AFC Bournemouth 22nd, Tranmere Rovers 7th.

Walsall hardly helped their chances of making the play-offs with a 1-1 draw against lowly Crewe Alexandra at Bescot. Maynard gave the visitors a 61st minute lead, and then had to rely on a Roper strike in the final few seconds to rescue a point for the Saddlers. Walsall 9th, Crewe Alexandra 20th.

Leyton Orient seem determined NOT to make the play-offs following their latest defeat against Cheltenham Town at Whaddon Road. A result which sees Cheltenham Town almost secure another season in League One. The only goal of the game came in the 47th minute through Connor. Cheltenham Town 17th, Leyton Orient 10th.

Hartlepool United claimed their 11th home win of the season with victory over Yeovil Town at the Victoria Ground. Goals from Brown (28 mins) and Porter (67 mins) gave the monkey hangers the win which guarantees League One football for next season. Hartlepool United 13th, Yeovil Town 16th.

Finally ....... two key games at the foot of League One. Millwall (19th) could only draw 0-0 with Luton Town (23rd) at the New Den; Gillingham's plight at the foot of the table was compounded with a 2-1 defeat against rock-bottom Port Vale at Vale Park. Richards (19 mins) and Whitaker (53 mins) gave the home side a 2-0 lead before Griffiths pulled one back for the Kent side with 12 minutes to go. Port Vale 24th, Gillingham 21st.