League One Review - March 8th

Last updated : 09 March 2008 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
In their Friday night encounter, Swansea City were surprisingly beaten by League One strugglers Millwall at the Liberty Stadium. The match got off to a flying start when Grabban grabbed a 1st minute goal for the Londoners. Simpson extended the lead in the 70th minute, with Scotland netting from the penalty spot in the 73rd minute for what proved to be a consolation. Swansea City 1st, Millwall 18th.

Doncaster Rovers closed the gap on the league leaders with a 2-1 home win, their 10 of the season, over Port Vale at the Keepmoat Stadium. Heffernan and McCammon gave the home side a 2-goal lead with strikes in the 11th and 19th minutes, with Whitaker scoring a consolation in the 34th minute. Doncaster Rovers 2nd, Port Vale 24th.

Carlisle United maintained their push for an automatic promotion place with a 2-0 home win over Brighton & Hove Albion at Brunton Park. A Graham strike in the 35th minute with Livesey scoring in the 59th, was enough for the home side to claim their 14th home win of the season. Carlisle United 3rd, Brighton & Hove Albion 12th.

Walsall slipped to a surprise home defeat to Northampton Town, which maintained the Cobblers' push for the play-offs. An Akinfenwa brace in the 8th and 71st minutes was enough to take the points back down the M6/M1. Walsall 5th, Northampton Town 10th.

Southend United managed to claim their 10th home win of the season with a 2-0 win over struggling Luton Town at Roots Hall. Bailey opened the scoring in the 37th minute, with Walker securing the win with just about the last kick of the game. Southend United 6th, Luton Town 23rd.

Leeds United boosted their chances of a play-off place with a 2-0 win over AFC Bournemouth at Elland Road. Johnson scored an easy goal in the 11th minute after keeper and defender clashed on the edge of the area. Despite Cherries pressure, Kilkenny ended the game as a contest with a long distance strike in the 63rd minute. Leeds United 7th, AFC Bournemouth 22nd.

Oldham Athletic did their chances of making the play-offs a power of good with a win over rivals Tranmere Rovers at Boundary Park. An Eardley penalty in the 41st minute and a Taylor strike just before half time gave the Latics a 2-0 lead at the break. Jones pulled one back for the visitors in the 70th minute, but saw Alessandra net a third for the home side just 6 minutes later. Oldham Athletic 9th, Tranmere Rovers 8th.

Leyton Orient are seeing their chances of making the play-offs slip further away from them. Defeat against Huddersfield Town at Brisbane Road didn't help their cause as Beckford scored the only goal of the game in the 75th minute. Leyton Orient 11th, Huddersfield Town 15th.

Hartlepool United should be just about safe now following a comprehensive 4-0 win over struggling Gillingham at the Victoria Ground. Monkhouse (21 mins) and Porter (26 mins) gave the home side a 2-0 half time lead. Collins (74 mins) and McCunnie (90 mins) rounded off a miserable day for the Kent side. Hartlepool United 14th, Gillingham 21st.

Yeovil Town should be just about safe for another season in League One following a 2-1 win over Cheltenham Town at Huish Park. A Wright own goal in the 9th minute didn't help the cause of the visitors. Brooker did level matters in the 64th minute, but saw Kirk settle the game in favour of the home side in the 74th minute. Yeovil Town 16th, Cheltenham Town 20th.

The only other game in League One saw Crewe Alexandra (19th) draw 0-0 with Nottingham Forest (4th) at Gresty Road.

The game between Bristol Rovers (17th) and Swindon Town (13th) was postponed due to the continued involvement in the FA Cup for Bristol Rovers.