League One Review - Oct 20th

Last updated : 20 October 2007 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Leyton Orient got back to winning ways, and returned to the top of League One at the same time with a convincing 3-1 win over Port Vale at Brisbane Road. Rodgers had given Vale a 40th minute lead, but then saw Mkandawire (53 mins), Ibehre (55 mins) and a Boyd penalty (60 mins) ensure that the points remain in East London. Leyton Orient 1st, Port Vale 23rd.

Southend United climbed in to the automatic promotion places with a 2-0 away win over Walsall at Bescot. A Clarke brace in the 38th and 51st minutes was enough to claim the points for the Essex side. Walsall 14th, Southend United 2nd.

Carlisle United also claimed a 2-0 win, this time at home against Gillingham at Brunton Park. A Cox own goal in the 15th minute wasn't a good start for the Gills, who conceded to Hackney in the 54th minute. Carlisle United 3rd, Gillingham 21st.

Tranmere Rovers lost out to a single goal to Swindon Town at the County Ground, as Corr netted the only goal of the game in the 88th minute. Swindon Town 7th, Tranmere Rovers 6th.

Yeovil Town were pegged back, and forced in to accepting a share of the points, at The Memorial Ground against Bristol Rovers, who are looking for their first home League win of the season. Rose gave Town a 62nd lead, only to see Elliott level in the final few moments of the game. Bristol Rovers 17th, Yeovil Town 8th.

Leeds United continued their climb up League One with a single goal victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at Withdean. The only goal of the game came in the 79th minute through Kandol. Brighton & Hove Albion 11th, Leeds United 9th.

Northampton Town were made to work for their win over Cheltenham Town at Sixfields. Kirk gave the home side a 22nd minute lead only to see Spencer level 5 minutes after the re start. The points were claimed when Gilligan scored the winner in the 80th minute. Northampton Town 12th, Cheltenham Town 22nd.

Luton Town slipped to their 5th away defeat of the season as Crewe Alexandra claimed their first win for a while. A first half brace from Lowe in the 14th and 40th minutes was enough to claim the points. Crewe Alexandra 18th, Luton Town 15th.

Huddersfield Town and Oldham Athletic had to settle for a share of the points at the Glapharm Stadium. Davies gave the Latics a fist half lead inthe 27th minute, only to see Wallwork level with 10 minutes to go. Huddersfield Town 16th, Oldham Athletic 20th.

Millwall edged away from the League One drop zone with a 2-1 win over AFC Bournemouth at The New Den. O'Hara gave the Lions a 33rd minute lead, with Hoskins doubling the lead in the 55th minute. Bradbury pulled one back for the Cherries in the final few seconds, but it was too little too late for the south coast side. Millwall 19th, AFC Bournemouth 24th.

The only other game played in League One saw Nottingham Forest (4th), draw 0-0 with Doncaster Rovers (13th) at the City Ground.

The game between Swansea City (5th) and Hartlepool United (10th) was called off following a tragic accident which saw Pool player Michael Maidens killed in a road accident. The game was postponed as a mark of respect to the 20-year old and his family.