League One Review - Oct 20th

Last updated : 20 October 2012 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

AFC Bournemouth proved that Tranmere Rovers are beatable afterall after the Cherries recorded back to back wins, while at the same time inflicting Rovers' first League defeat of the season at Dean Court even though Jervis gave the League leaders the advantage 6-minutes before the break. A Gibson own goal (53rd min) levelled matters before Arter fired the Cherries ahead 6 minutes later, leaving Francis to make the points safe in the 72nd minute. AFC Bournemouth 18th, Tranmere Rovers 1st.

Stevenage Borough closed the gap at the top to 4-points with a single goal win over Franchise FC at Stadium:Franchise. Akins scored the only goal of the game just before the half hour. Franchise FC 8th, Stevenage Borough 2nd.

Sheffield United also closed the gap on the top with a single goal win of their own, theirs coming at Deepdale against Preston North End. Kitson scored the only goal in the 43rd minute. Preston North End 9th, Sheffield United 3rd.

Crawley Town also grabbed a single win of the own, also coming on the road as Akpan netted the winner in the 15th minute against Hartlepool United at Victoria Road. Hartlepool United 23rd, Crawley Town 4th.

Notts County also gained a single goal win, theirs coming at The Ricoh Arena against Coventry City. Boucaud gave County the lead in the 39th minute, with Arquin doubling the advantage in the 84th minute. Wood got one back for Cov in the 87th minute to set up an interesting final few minutes, but it wasn't to be. Coventry City 21st, Notts County 5th.

Swindon Town had to settle for a point against battling Scunthorpe United at The County Ground. Collins gave Town the lead in the 18th minute, but then saw Flint sent off for a 2nd bookable just after the half hour. Scunny eventually made the numeric advantage count with the equaliser in the 56th minute. Swindon Town 6th, Scunthorpe United 22nd.

Doncaster Rovers find themselves tucked in just behind the play-off places following a 2-1 win over Brentford at the Keepmoat even though Douglas gave the Bees the lead on the stroke of half time. Cotterill (74th min) and Paynter (84th min) turned the game around for the home side to claim the points. Doncaster Rovers 7th, Brentford 10th.

Portsmouth managed to record a decent 3-1 win over Shrewsbury Town at Fratton Park. Thomas gave Pompey the lead in the 55th minute, with the advantage doubled by McLeod 3 minutes later. Morgan pulled one back for the Shrews 3 minutes later again but promptly got himself sent off with 2 yellow cards shown in a matter of a minute! McLeod put the result beyond doubt with his 2nd goal in the 94th minute. Portsmouth 11th, Shrewsbury Town 20th.

Walsall and Crewe Alexandra had to settle for a share of the points at Bescot as the two shared 4-goals. Paterson and Cuvelier gave the Saddlers a 2-goal advantage with strikes in the 12th and 26th minutes. Ellis (44th min) and Aneke (92nd min) ensured that the points were shared. Walsall 12th, Crewe Alexandra 19th.

Oldham Athletic climbed in to mid-table with a 2-0 win over Leyton Orient at Boundary Park. Derbyshire (77th min) and Baxter (83rd min) kept the points in Greater Manchester. Oldham Athletic 13th, Leyton Orient 16th.

Yeovil Town claimed a win over hapless 10-man Bury at Huish Park. Thompson didn't help the visitors cause by seeing red in the 27th minute. Webster gave the Glovers the lead in the 34th minute, with Poleon levelling in the 74th minute, leaving Foley to score the winner 2 minutes later. Yeovil Town 14th, Bury 24th.

After difficult start to the season, Colchester United appear to have turned the corner with a 2-0 win over Carlisle United at their Community Stadium. Eastmond (25th min) and Ibehre (31st min) gave ColU the win. Colchester United 15th, Carlisle United 17th.