League One Review - Oct 23rd

Last updated : 24 October 2012 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator

If Tranmere Rovers fans thought they were going to walk League One - think again! Their lead is down to a single point following a 2nd successive defeat, this time coming at the hands of Doncaster Rovers at Prenton Park. Paynter gave Donny the lead in the 48th minute, with Cassidy levelling with 3 minutes to go. With a share of the points looking safe Hume popped up with the winner in the 92nd minute. Tranmere Rovers 1st, Doncaster Rovers 6th.

Stevenage Borough closed the gap at the top with a 2-1 win over Portsmouth at Broadhall Way. Morais gave Borough the lead in the 14th minute, with Harley levelling in the 51st minute. Morais had the last laugh with the winner 10 minutes later. Stevenage Borough 2nd, Portsmouth 14th.

Sheffield United kept pace with a 1-0 win of their own over Walsall at Bramhall Lane as Blackman scored the only goal, from the penalty spot, in the 14th minute. Sheffield United 3rd, Walsall 15th.

Crawley Town also closed the gap on the top with a 2-0 win, theirs coming against Franchise FC at Broadfield. A Clarke brace in the 21st and 90th minutes was enough to keep the Red Devils in the hunt. Crawley Town 4th, Franchise FC 10th.

Notts County had to settle for a point against battling AFC Bournemouth at Meadow Lane as the south coast club came from behind to secure a share of the spoils. J Hughes and Arquin pounced to give County a 2-goal lead at the break with strikes in the 21st and 32nd minutes. The Cherries hit back through McQuoid (51st) and Arter (60th min pen), before Campbell-Ryce restored the advantage with a penalty in the 84th minute. Not to be out done Tubbs levelled for a share of the spoils a minute later. Notts County 5th, AFC Bournemouth 19th.

Swindon Town slipped up at Crewe Alexandra as the home side edged it 2-1. De Vita gave the Robins the lead in the 25th minute only to see a Moore brance win it for the Alex with goals in the 29th and 41st minutes. Crewe Alexandra 16th, Swindon Town 7th.

Preston North End managed to hang on to a win against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park after Wroe gave PNE a 3-goal lead with goals in the 1st, 28th and 36th minutes. Clarke pulled one back in the 42nd minute, with Hawley setting up an interesting finish in the 72nd. It wasn't enough though. Scunthorpe United 22nd, Preston North End 8th.

Brentford left it late to claim their win against Coventry City, they also had to come from behind to do so after McGoldrick gave the Sky Blue the lead in the 7th minute. A Forrester brace in the 41st and 94th minutes ensured that the points remained in SW London. Brentford 9th, Coventry City 21st.

Yeovil Town had an emphatic win over Shrewsbury Town at the New Meadow, running out 3-1 winners. A Maddedn brace (9th and 90th minutes), plus a Hayter strike (60th min) only drew a response from Richards (81st min pen). Shrewsbury Town 20th, Yeovil Town 11th.

From strugglers a few weeks ago, Colchester United are now 5-points off the play-off places following a 2-0 win over Leyton Orient at Brisbane Road. Wordsworth (33rd min) and Henderson (51st min) gave ColU the win to nudge them up the table. Leyton Orient 18th, Colchester United 12th.

Carlisle United United managed to arrest their recent slump in form with a decent 3-1 win over Oldham Athletic at Brunton Park. A Garner brace (57th and 74th mins) set them on the way, as did a Robson goal in the 82nd minute. A Baxter penalty in the 85th minute was a mere consolation 3 minutes later. Carlisle United 13th, Oldham Athletic 17th.

At the 14th time of asking, Bury have finally managed to claim their first win of the season - hapless Hartlepool United being their first victims at Gigg Lane. Hopper (37th min) and Worrall (55th min) set Bury on their way before Noble netted a consolation for the the travellers in the 56th minute. Bury 23rd, Hartlepool United 24th.