League One Review - Oct 28th

Last updated : 03 November 2007 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Top of the pile this week are Carlisle United. They managed to gain an all important victory over promotion hopefuls Southend United at Roots Hall as Garner scored the only goal of the game in the 59th minute. Southend United 5th, Carlisle United 1st.

Swansea City edged in to second place with an important victory over Yeovil Town at Huish Park. Scotland had given the visitors a 40th minute lead, only to see Betsy level in the 48th minute. The winner came from Bodde in the 79th minute. Yeovil Town 12th, Swansea City 2nd.

Tranmere Rovers claimed an emphatic 3-0 home win over Huddersfield Town at Prenton Park in their Friday night game. McLaren got the home side off the mark with a goal in the 29th minute. Sherriff extended the lead in the 53rd minute with Taylor making sure of the points 7 minutes from time. Tranmere Rovers 3rd, Huddersfield Town 17th.

Leyton Orient could have gone back to the top of the pile, but failed to register a win in their Sunday game against Doncaster Rovers at the Keepmost Stadium. Wellens fired the home side in to a 52nd minute lead, but saw Ibehre level 4 minutes later. Purches put the visitors ahead in the 68th minute, but saw Price level for the home side a minute later. Goals from Hayter (83 mins) and Wellens (88 mins) settled matters for the home side. Doncaster Rovers 11th, Leyton Orient 4th.

Leeds United have managed to make it to the play-off places, inspite of their 15-point handicapp. A 4-2 win over Millwall at Elland Road was more than enough to seal victory. Prutton fired the home side ahead in the 37th minute, with Beckford following up with a strike in the 53rd minute. A Douglas brace in the 57th and 60th minutes was enough to seal victory, but didn't stop Millwall coming back in to it. Hoskins pulled one back in the 65th minute with Brkovic pulling a 2nd back with 14 minutes left on the clock. Leeds United 6th, Millwall 20th.

Nottingham Forest slipped out of the top-6 following defeat at the hands of Luton Town at Kenilworth Road. Perry gave the home side a 52nd minute lead with Bell seemingly securing the winner with 2 minutes to go. Forest pulled one back through Bennett to set up an interesting last few seconds, but it was too little too late for the visitors. Luton Town 14th, Nottingham Forest 7th.

Brighton & Hove Albion claimed an important 3rd away win of the season with victory over Hartlepool United at the Victoria Ground. Nelson put past his own keeper to give the Seagulls a 14th minute lead. Barker levelled for the home side in the 88th minute. It was not enough to secure a point as Savage scored a 90th minute winner! Hartlepool United 13th, Brighton & Hove Albion 8th.

Port Vale edged away from the bottom of League One with an important win over Swindon Town at Vale Park. Rodgers gave the home side an 18th minute lead from the penalty spot. Peacock levelled a minute later for the visitors. Whitaker scored what proved to be the winner in the 26th minute. Port Vale 22nd, Swindon Town 9th.

Northampton Town secured a single goal victory over Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park. Russell scored the only goal of the game in the 66th minute. Oldham Athletic 21st, Northampton Town 10th.

Walsall secured a point at Dean Court against AFC Bournemouth to deny the Cherries their first home league win of the campaign. Kuffour fired the home side in to a 20th minute, but it was not enough as the Saddlers levelled through Wrack in the 81st minute. AFC Bournemouth 24th, Walsall 15th.

Cheltenham Town left it late to secure a point against Crewe Alexandra at Whaddon Road. The visitors must have thought that they had done enough to secure a win as Church and Lowe netted in the 74th and 78th minutes. The home side left it to Wright (85 mins) and Bird (88 mins) to secure a share of the spoils. Cheltenham Town 23rd, Crewe Alexandra 16th.

Gillingham managed to climb out of the bottom-4 with a win over Bristol Rovers at Priestfield, who are slowly sinking towards the drop zone. Brown gave the home side a 19th minute with Lambert levelling in the 27th. pipe scored just after the break for Rovers, but it was not enough as Graham (85 mins) and Dickson (89 mins) ensured that the points remained in Kent. Gillingham 18th, Bristol Rovers 19th.