League One Review - Sept 22nd

Last updated : 22 September 2007 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Leyton Orient finally surrendered their unbeaten start to the season as Hartlepool United claimed all three points at Brisbane Road. Moore gave the visitors a 10th minute lead, which was added to in the second half by Brown in the 51st minute. Melligan pulled one back in the 57th minute, but Monkhouse restored the 2-goal advantage in the 84th minute. Daniels reduced the arrears again before Moore scored his second in the final few moments of the game to finish off a fine 4-2 away win. Leyton Orient 1st, Hartlepool United 3rd.

Cheltenham Town held Tranmere Rovers at Whaddon Road. Greenacre gave the Wirral side a 34th minute lead before Caines levelled 5 minutes after the restart. Cheltenham Town 16th, Tranmere Rovers 2nd.

Yeovil Town continued their good away form with a 2-1 win over Brighton & Hove Albion at Withdean. Owusu (15 mins) and Warne (43 mins) effectively wrapped up the points, leaving Hammond to convert a 61st minute penalty for the home side. Brighton & Hove Albion 12th, Yeovil Town 4th.

Southend United were made to battle for their 3rd home win of the new season over Doncaster Rovers at Roots Hall. Barrett gave the home side a 28th minute lead, but were rocked when Roberts and Guy hit back with goals in the 28th and 36th minutes. Southend hit back after the break when McCormack levelled in the 49th minute and Clarke put the home side ahead again, from the penalty spot, in the 59th minute. Southend United 5th, Doncaster Rovers 17th.

Carlisle United were held at Brunton Park by Bristol Rovers. Elliott gave Rovers a 14th minute lead, but were pegged back by a leveller from Graham in the 70th minute. Carlisle United 6th, Bristol Rovers 9th.

Swindon Town were flattered by AFC Bournemouth at the County Ground as the Cherries gifted the Robins a 4-1 home win. Cox fired the home side ahead in the 7th minute. Both sides went in at the break level when Hollands scored in the 37th minute. After the break the Cherries defence went AWOL as Paynter netted a hat trick with goals in the 48th, 64th and 85th minutes. Swindon Town 7th, AFC Bournemouth 21st.

Leeds United maintained their 100% winning start to the season with a 2-0 win over Swansea City at Elland Road. Beckford (62 mins) and Prutton (67 mins) did enough to claim the Yorkshire sides 7th straight win. Leeds United 18th, Swansea City 8th.

Having finally claimed their first win of the new season last weekend, Nottingham Forest returned to the City Ground and ran up a 4-0 home win over Gillingham. Agogo netted a hat trick with goals in the 43rd, 61st and 73rd minutes, with Sinclair getting in on the act with an 84th minute strike. Nottingham Forest 10th, Gillingham 20th.

Northampton Town were equally bullish at Sixfields when Huddersfield Town visited on Saturday, running up a 3-0 win. Hubertz netted just before the break, with Holt extending the lead in the 62nd minute and Kirk making sure of the points in the 66th. Northampton Town 11th, Huddersfield Town 15th.

Luton Town maintained their good home form with a 3rd win at Kenilworth Road against Port Vale. Furlong put the home side ahead in the 30th minute. Bell effectively wrapped up the points with a strike in the 86th minute. Rodgers netted a consolation for the Potteries side in the final few moments. Luton Town 13th, Port Vale 23rd.

Oldham Athletic piled on the misery for Walsall at Bescot with an emphatic 3-0 away win. Ricketts fired the home side ahead in the 33rd minute, which was added to with goals from Liddell (a 65th minute penalty) and Davies in the 90th minute, to secure the points. Walsall 24th, Oldham Athletic 19th.

Finally, Crewe Alexandra (14th) and Millwall (22nd) battled away for a 0-0 draw at Gresty Road.