League One Review - Sept 29th

Last updated : 30 September 2007 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Leyton Orient moved 4 points clear at the top of League One as they had to come from behind to beat Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Ground. Two penalties from Walker in the 41st and 54th minutes gave Rovers a 2-goal advantage before Leyton Orient hit back with goals from Gray (59 mins), Mkandawire (77 mins) and Demetriou completing the comeback in the 81st minute. Bristol Rovers 14th, Leyton Orient 1st.

Tranmere Rovers also had to come from behind to claim a point home against Northampton Town. Kirk gave the visitors a 12th minute, which was added to by half time with a strike from Hubertz in the 39th minute. Shuker pulled one back in the 69th minute, with Taylor salvaging a point with an equaliser in the 88th minute. Tranmere Rovers 2nd, Northampton Town 11th.

Southend United closed the gap on the automatic promotion places with a 2-1 away win over Port Vale at Vale Park. Clarke (32 mins) and McCormack (45 mins) gave the Essex side a 2-goal half time lead, but saw the advantage halved with a Rodgers penalty in the 59th minute. It was not enough to claim a point though. Port Vale 23rd, Southend United 3rd.

AFC Bournemouth have yet to win at home, and on the evidence of this afternoon, are not likely to in the near future either! Carlisle United were gifted all three points as they won 3-1 at Dean Court. A first half brace from Garner (27 and 39 mins) was enough to do most the damage. Kuffour pulled one back in the 55th minute, but Anyinsah restored the 2-goal advantage in the 66th minute. AFC Bournemouth 24th, Carlisle United 4th.

Hartlepool United lost ground on the leading clubs as they lost to Walsall as Victoria Park. A single goal from Hall in the final few moments of the game gave the Saddlers a precious win. Hartlepool United 5th, Walsall 19th.

Swindon Town climbed in to the play-off places as they beat Millwall at The New Den. Cox gave the Robins a great start in the 8th minute. Simpson levelled in the 56th minute, but Ifil scored the winner in the 79th minute. Millwall 22nd, Swindon Town 6th.

Nottingham Forest managed to get some sort of revenge for their play-off defeat by hammering Yeovil Town 3-0 at Huish Park. Chambers (57 mins), Agogo (79 mins) and Commons (84 mins) claimed the all important goals to claim 3-points in Somerset. Yeovil Town 7th, Nottingham Forest 8th.

Huddersfield Town managed to claim their 2nd home win of the campaign as they saw off Luton Town at the Galpharm Stadium. Beckett (36 mins) and Cadamarteri (60 mins) did enough to seal victory. Huddersfield Town 9th, Luton Town 16th.

Goals from Guy (18 mins) and Mills (58 mins) helped Doncaster Rovers to a much needed home win over Cheltenham Town at the Keepmoat Stadium. Doncaster Rovers 13th, Cheltenham Town 18th.

After a gittery start to the season, Oldham Athletic look as if they are getting their act together as they claimed their 2nd home win of the season. They saw off Crewe Alexandra at Boundary Park. Barnard had given the Alex a 17th minute lead, with Moore extending that lead 9 minutes later. Allott pulled one back before the break in the 36th minute. Wilfenden levelled in the 83rd minute with Kilkenny scoring the winner in the 90th minute to complete the comeback. Oldham Athletic 15th, Crewe Alexandra 17th.

Congratulations to Gillingham, who are the first side in League One to take points off Leeds United this season. Carole gave Leeds a 28th minute lead, which looked as if it was going to be the winner until Cox levelled in the final few seconds. Leeds did win the yellow card count 5-2, as well as seeing 2 red carded (Kandol and Beckford for a 2nd bookable offences). Gillingham 21st, Leeds United 20th.

Finally, Swansea City (10th) drew with Brighton & Hove Albion (12th) 0-0 at the Liberty Stadium.