League One Round Up (Jan 15)

Last updated : 18 January 2005 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
Luton Town regained pole position (on goal difference) from Hull City at the top of League One, complements of a 3-0 thumping of Stockport County at Kenilworth Road. Coyne (29), Howard (54) and a Nicholls penalty (74) claimed three points and left County staring at relegation. Luton 1st, Stockport 24th.

Hull City were surprisingly held by strugglers Peterborough United at the KC Stadium. Peterborough even led at the break through a Thomson strike in teh 26th minute. City levelled through Barmby a minute after the start, and must have thought that 3-points were safe with half an hour to go as they led through Green. Clearly they Peterborough had not read the script as Willock snatched a 90th minute equaliser! Hull 2nd, Peterborough 22nd.

Tranmere Rovers made the relatively short journey to north Wales and dished out an convicing away win (1-5 - sound familiar?)! The rout started in the 21st minute through Dagnall whose effort was added to before the break by Hume. Just 4 minutes after the restart Roberts made it 3. Armstrong reduced the deficit to 1-3 in the 67th minute, but further strikes from Whitmore (79) and Hall (81) sealed Wrexham's fate, leaving them looking at League Two. Tranmere Rovers 3rd, Wrexham 23rd.

Sheffield Wednesday left it late to claim a point at Dean Court. Garreth O'Connor put AFC Bournemouth ahead in the 11th minute. But a 93rd minute equaliser from Heckingbottom claimed a point for the Yorkshire side. AFCB 7th, Sheff Weds 4th.

Hartlepool United made the long trip to Torquay United, and came away with a 2-1 win. Even though Kuffour put the home side in the 13th minute, second half strikes from Porter (68) and Sweeney (71) made sure that the points went back to the north east. Torquay United 19th, Hartlepool United 5th.

Brentford claimed only their 3rd away win of the season against Port Vale. The only goal of the game came in the 29th minute when Hutchinson scored. Port Vale 17th, Brentford 8th.

Doncaster Rovers travelled to Oldham Athletic and claimed a 2-1 at Boundary Park. A first minute strike from Blundell seemed to be enough until McSporran extended the lead in the 81st minute. A nervous few minutes came after vernon pulled a goal back in the 87th minute, but it was Rovers who claimed victory. Oldham Athletic 16th, Doncaster Rovers 10th.

Swindon Town looked to be destined for mid-table this season. More so as they failed to beat struggling Blackpool at The County Ground. Parker gave the visitors the lead in the 18th minute, but Swindon turned that round to a half time lead with a 36th and 45th minute brace from Parkin. But it was not to be for Swindon who allowed Clarke to level in the 90th minute. Swindon Town 11th, Blackpool 20th.

Barnsley and Huddersfield Town gave the 11725 at Oakwell value for money as they kocked in 6 goals between them. Barnsley were 3-0 to the good at half time through 2 Chopra goals (9 & 24) with Boulding adding the third on 38. Abbott (55 pen) and Booth (70) set up an interesting last 20 minutes before Chopra settled matters with an 87th minute penalty. Barnsley 12th, Huddersfield 14th.

Chesterfield didn't fair too well at Walsall, going down 3-0 to the West Midland side. Wrack and Leitao put the Saddlers 2-up at the break. Fryatt put the result beyond doubt with a 90th minute strike, helping the home side put some breathing space between themselves and the relegation scrap below them. Walsall 15th, Chesterfield 13th.

Colchester United seem to be jeckel and hyde at the moment. One week winning away to Hull City and the next loosing away to Franchise FC. Their defeat at the National Hockey Stadium came through goals from Harding (2 mins) and Small (18 mins). Franchise FC 21st, Colchester United 19th.

The only other game in League One resulted in a 0-0 draw between Bristol City and Bradford City. Bristol City 6th, Bradford City 9th.