League One Round Up (Jan 1)

Last updated : 03 January 2005 By Bournemouth Co-Ordinator
A few weeks ago Luton Town had a commanding lead at the top of League One - but no more! Their draw against Sheffield Wednesday now means that they top the table ONLY on goal difference. Howard put the home side in front on 47 minutes before Jones levelled on the stroke of half time. Luton Town 1st, Sheffield Wednesday 6th.

This draw meant that Hull City drew level following their 2-1 home win over Huddersfield Town. Brandon fired the visitors ahead on 40 minutes before the unstoppable Elliott levelled 2 minutes later. The points were wrapped up 4 minutes after the break when Wilbraham netted. Hull City 2nd, Huddesfield Town 13th.

Tranmere Rovers (7 points off the automatic promotion places) drew 2-2 away to Oldham Athletic. Taylor scored for Rovers from the penalty spot (37 mins) before Griffin levelled for the home side 2 minutes later. Hume fired the visitors back in front on 52 minutes, before Vernon secured a point on 71 minutes. Tranmere Rovers 3rd, Oldham Athletic 15th.

AFC Bournemouth beat Brentford 3-2 at Dean Court through a Steve Fletcher hat trick (4, 35, 58 minutes) with Rankin doing his best to match with goals in the 50th and 65 minutes leaving the visitors with a 3-9 aggregate score over the Christmas and New Year period so far! AFCB 4th, Brentford 9th.

Bradford City returned to winning ways away to Port Vale. All that was needed on the day was a Forrest strike in the 61st minute. Port Vale 18th, Bradford City 5th.

Bristol City compounded Peterborough United's misery at the foot of the table with a 2-0 win at Ashton Gate. Brooker (30) and Heffernan (34) secured the win in the first half. Bristol City 8th, Peterborough United 22nd.

Swindon Town dished out a few late Christmas presents to Colchester United as the visitors ran out 3-0 winners at the County Ground. Johnson got the scoring going just after the half hour, which was quickly followed by Danns in the 38th minute. The points were made safe by Garcia just after the restart! Swindon Town 10th, Colchester United 17th.

Chesterfield could only manage a 1-1 draw away to Franchise FC. Smart converted a penalty on 5 minutes for the Franchise holders, but Evatt equalised 6 minutes before the end to take a point back to Derbyshire. Franchise FC 21st, Chesterfield 11th.

On a day of draws Doncaster Rovers draw away to Walsall (1-1). Bennett put past his own keeper on 11 minutes to put the visitors ahead, but Walsall secured a point when Standing levelled 10 minutes later. Walsall 16th. Donncaster Rovers 14th.

Wrexham continue to slip, this time they went down to Blackpool at The Racecourse Ground. Llewellyn opened the scoring for the home side (18 mins), before Murphy secured the points with a brace in the 64th and 77th minutes to take the 3-points back to the seaside. Wrexham 23rd, Blackpool 20th.

In the relagation 6-pointer, Stockport County came out on top down at Plainmoor, beating Torquay United 2-1 with a late penalty. Torquay United were in front at half time through Hill who scored in the 45th minute. Stockport levelled just after the restart through Lambert, who also converted the 89th minute penalty to take the points back to Cheshire. Torquay United 19th, Stockport County 24th.

The one remaining game saw Hartlepool United draw a blank with Barnsley at Oakwell. Barnsley 12th, Hartlepool United 7th.