League One Round Up (Nov 7)

Last updated : 07 November 2004 By Andy Burton
Luton Town returned to winning ways at Kenilworth Road as they demolished poor Wrexham 5-1. Within a 9 minute spell in the first half, Wrexham were ripped apart as goals from ex-Cherry Steve Robinson (13), Davis (17) and O'Leary (22) fired the home side in to a 3-goal lead. Howard made it 4 just before the half time break. Brkovic made it 5 on 62 before Hector Sam netted a consolation on 73 mins. Luton Town 1st, Wrexham 16th.

So what of the chasing pack?
Tranmere Rovers maintained second spot as they marrowly beat Swindon Town 2-1 at Prenton Park. Rovers took the lead on 34 through Hall, before Duke levelled on 69. But Rovers were not to be denied as Hall secured 3 points with his second goal of the game on 74. Rovers 2nd, Town 9th.

Hull City wrote themselves in to the record books with one of the fastest goals ever scored (7 seconds) as Nick Barmby scored a straight forward tap in. Poor Walsall didn't stand a chance as they went in at the break 3-down as Elliott (34) and Lewis (39) extended the home sides' lead. Standing (49) scored the Saddlers consolation just after the re start. Hull City 3rd, Walsall 18th.

AFC Bournemouth lifted themselves up one place to 4th with a 4th minute strike from Jamie Hayter to deny Peterborough United any points.

Bradford City were made to work by Colchester United at Valley Parade, coming back twice to secure a point. The U's took the lead on 8 minutes through Johnson before Dean Windass levelled on 23. But not wanting to be denied, Johnson put the visitors ahead again on 39, before Windass levelled 9 minutes before the end. Bradford City 5th, Colchester United 15th.

Huddersfield Town and Brentford played on Sunday and cancelled each other out with a 1-1 draw at the Galpharm Stadium. Sodje put Brentford ahead on 62 before Pawel Abbott levelled 9 minutes later. Hudderfield Town 10th, Brentford 6th.

Chesterfield left it very late against Blackpool to secure their victory. It was virtually the last kick of the game before Folan scored for the home side. Chesterfield 7th, Blackpool 21st.

Hartlepool United had to show some character to collect 3-points against Doncaster Rovers in a 2-1 win. In fact it was Rovers who scored first through Roberts (30) before Porter secured an unlikely win with 2 strikes in the 78th and 89th minutes! Hartlepool United 8th, Doncaster Rovers 14th.

Bristol City seem to be heading in the right direction again after a dodgy start to the season, this time beating the Franchise holders 4-1 at Ashton Gate. The game was effectively over within the first half hour as Leroy Lita scored twice (4 & 25) with Brooker netting just before the half hour. Small scored a consolation for the Franchisee's (49), but there was to be no come back as Wilkshire restored the three-goal advantage on 63 minutes. City 11th, Franchise FC 23rd.

Sheffield Wednesday may also be finding their feet at this level at last as they ran out 3-0 winners against hapless Stockport County! Proudlock (40), McGovern (50) and MacMahon (88) made sure that the points were heading back to South Yorkshire, keeping County well and truely stuck to the bottom of the division. Stockport County 24th, Sheffield Wednesday 12th.

Port Vale travelled to Oakwell and came away with their first win their for some 20-odd years! Barnsley took the lead through a Conlon penalty on 44 before a Paynter and a Robbie Williams own goal secured the points for Vale. Barnsley 17th, Port Vale 13th.

Torquay United secured only their 2nd home win of the season against Oldham Athletic at Plainmoor, winning 2-0. Constantine scored first on 9 minutes before Gritton cooly scored (?) on 71. The second goal was disputed as no one though that the ball had crossed the line - except the ref's assistant who flagged to award the goal. Torquay United 22nd, Oldham Athletic 20th.