Morecambe 1-2 AFC Bournemouth- Report

Last updated : 24 August 2016 By DSG

Marc Wilson strike sees Bournemouth overcome Morecambe in EFL Cup

Bournemouth registered their first win of the season as Marc Wilson's fine strike saw them overcome League Two table-toppers Morecambe 2-1 at the Globe Arena and move into the EFL Cup third round.

Republic of Ireland defender Wilson marked his first appearance since re-joining the Cherries last week with his first club goal since December 2010 as he fired in from considerable range in the 54th minute.

That was after Morecambe had swiftly cancelled out Max Gradel's eighth-minute opener through Cole Stockton, and then almost gone ahead in first-half stoppage time when Tom Barkhuizen hit the post.

There were several nervy moments for a much-changed Bournemouth side, with Morecambe also connecting with the woodwork in the dying seconds via Ryan Edwards' header.

But Cherries boss Eddie Howe, who made 10 changes in total to his starting XI, will be pleased simply to get a win on the board after opening the season with back-to-back Premier League losses.

Soon after surviving an early scare when Adam Federici tipped away a rocket of a shot from Barkhuizen, Bournemouth took the lead with their first real attempt on goal - Gradel sending a low strike from the edge of the box in off the far post.

The away side looked to be moving through the gears when Junior Stanislas had an effort saved by Barry Roche in the 12th minute, but two minutes after that Morecambe drew level thanks to a tidy finish by Stockton, who steered the ball home from close range following a long throw.

Bournemouth dominated the rest of the opening period, with Roche making a double save to deny Benik Afobe and Gradel and Lewis Grabban miscuing as he met a cross right of front of goal.

But Howe and his men were breathing sighs of relief again in the last few seconds having seen Barkhuizen's fierce drive stay out via the frame of the goal.

They were feeling a lot more at ease shortly after the break when Wilson restored their advantage by cracking a shot past Roche from outside the area.

And Afobe then almost took the ball around Roche, who just managed to deflect it away with an important fingertip stop.

Morecambe subsequently went close on several occasions to netting a second equaliser, with the first instance seeing Wilson overhit a backpass and Federici spare his blushes by scrambling it away before it crossed the line.

Jack Dunn then hammered a shot wide, and in the last few moments, substitute Kevin Ellison saw an effort just pushed over by Federici before Edwards nodded the ball onto the top of the bar.

Source : DSG

Source: DSG