April 18 AFC Bournemouth 2-4 Sheffield Wednesday Att: 10864

Last updated : 19 April 2014 By Andy Burton

From the outset you could see that some thing wasn't quite right - for starters the quality, range and execution of pur passing wasn't on song as possession as easily conceded more often than not.

It was Wednesday who had the first clear attempt on goal as Lee fired wide from the edge of the penalty area in the 6th minute, with Ritchie responding in kind 4 minutes later. Sadly his effort was tame and went straight at Kirkland in the Owls goal.

It came as no great surprise when Wednesday got their noses in front. The only surprise was the manner in which the goal was conceeded. It's not often you'll see Steve Cook end up holding head in hands knowing that his error cheaply gave away possession, which allowed Nuhiu to first the ball past Camp for the opening goal in the 16th minute.

At this stage, the Owls were dominant, while the Cherries struggled to find their feet and were not looking good to level the match at this stage. To their credit though, an equaliser did come, thanks to a Grabban cross being met by Pugh (31st min), whose point blank header gave Kirkland no chance of saving it.

If we thought that the Cherries were going to kick on for the win had to be revised when we failed to deal with a long throw, which Hutchinson got on the end of for a close range header in the 33rd minute. Both of Wednesday's goals looked all too easy for them to bag.

For the remainder of the half the match returned to form, with poor passing from both sides.

The seocnd half saw the Cherries come out in a more determined fashion with the home side getting their reward in the 57th minute having won a corner. A lovely floated corner from Harte found Kermorgant to head home from close range, giving Kirkland no chance of saving.

An interesting match got that bit more interesting in the 63rd minute when Hutchinson was shown a second yellow card, being sent from the pitch. This seemed to spur Wednesday on as they got everyone behind the ball to protect the draw and try and snatch if they could.

Ttry as they might, the Cherries couldn't break down the 10-man wall, just as QPR couldn't break us down a few weeks ago.

It came as no surprise when the Cherries got caught on the break by Leon Best in the 86th minute after Antonio hit the cross bar, with the ball going to Best who rollwed the ball back past Camp. With the Cherries pressing for an equaliser Best was released down the right hand channel, used Maguire to wrong foot Camp for an easy 4th goal in the 95th minute.

There's no escaping this was a disappointing result which has probably scuppered any hopes of the play-offs, even though it's not mathematically out of the question just yet.

Man of The MatchAs for man of the match, tough on as no one truely excelled this afternoon, but will opt for Andrew Surman for his midfield industry.

AFCB: Camp, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Harte, Ritchie, Surman, O'Kane, Pugh, Grabban, Kermorgant
Subs: Allsop, Ward, MacDonald, Rantie, Fraser (for Ritchie, 62 mins), Smith (for Harte, 70 mins), Pitman (for Pugh, 79 mins)

Andy Burton, Portsmouth