April 9 AFC Bournemouth 1-2 Tranmere Rovers Att: 6004

Last updated : 10 April 2011 By Andy Burton

To say that this was a disappointing performance IS a gross understatement. Being a family web site, I cannot type some of the words I'd like to have used to describe the Cherries performance. Those sat close to me on the 1726 from Pokesdown heading home after the match would have heard many mutterings of an 'adult' nature!

For whatever reason the Cherries simply didn't get going in the way we know they can. The passing was slack, possession was cheaply conceded, tackling almost non-existent.

To their credit though, Tranmere Rovers looked more than up for it to avenge league and cup defeats earlier in the season, as well as enhancing their chances of avoiding the drop to League Two.

Their opening goal came 4 minutes before the break when their 4th/5th corner of the match was not dealt with, allowing Goodison to stick out a boot at the near post to guide the ball home.

The second half was marginally better - but not much to be honest. Yes there was more endeavour, but not much else. Our first 'shot' on target came from Lovell who weakly passed the ball back to the visiting keeper. Our second shot on target came in the 91st minute when the much-criticised Danny Ings managed to somehow wrap his foot around the ball to loop it over the keeper. An undeserved point saved we thought?

WRONG! In the 4th minute of added time, a rasping shot from McGurk rattled off the underside of the cross-bar to drop behind the line. Justice done!

Man Of The MatchAs for man of the match, Pearcey did well, as did Robinson in midfield, but am going to do with Danny Hollands who covered every blade of grass on the pitch. Shame his colleagues had minds on Summer holidays on warm beaches .......

AFCB: Jalal, Smith, Cooper, Pearce, Cummings, Feeney, Hollands, Robinson, Pugh, Fletcher, Dalla Valle
Subs: Stewart, Purches, Arter, Partington, McDermott (for Pugh, HT), Lovell (for Dalla Valle, HT), Ings (for Smith, 77 mins)