Aug 18 AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Aldershot Town Att: 5556

Last updated : 19 August 2009 By Andy Burton
What a nice start to the new season - for a change! Three league games down, and three wins to show for our efforts. But if we thought that Aldershot Town would roll over for us, then think again! Our near neighbours were organised, passed the ball well and attacked with pace. Thankfully their shooting boots had been left over the county boundary as everything that was thrown was thrown at Jalal and the back four was dealt with with relative ease.

The opening 45 minutes were pretty open, as both sides felt their way in to the game. The first effort came in the 10th minute when a Fletcher header went just wide of the target. That was just about it as the defences limited each attack as it came forward.

For the Cherries, both Garry and Pearce were commanding at the centre of the defence. A clear understanding has built up between them. Barring injury, they will make a formidable partnership this season.

Down the left, Igoe and Cummings were lively to say the least, making many penetrating runs throughout the match, as too was Feeney down the right!

Amazingly we got to half time without either keeper having to make a meaningful save!

Two minutes after the restart Warren Cummings was upended by Ben Harding, who was presented with a yellow card. The free kick from Pitman found Jason Pearce in front of the North Stand goal who duely headed home off the right hand upright much to the delight of the home support.

Clear cut Cherries were few and far between after that, as the game resumed it's end to end nature again with the defences asserting themselves once again. But if anyone was likely to score it was going to be the Cherries with the quality of their possession.

As the game wore on, Aldershot got more in to the match and should have netted an equaliser when Jalal uncharacteristically fumbled inside the 6-yard box. Thankfully he managed to collect the ball when it seemed easier for the Aldershot players to score!

With Town asserting themselves towards the end it was with much relief that the home fans greeted the final whistle and another three points!

Last season, we'd have drawn or lost that kind of match. This season there is a resilience in the squad which wasn't there before, so who know what the season have in store for us!

Man Of The Match
My man of the match, amoung many fine individual performances goes to Jason Pearce for standing strong in defence and the winning goal!

AFCB: Jalal, Bradbury, Garry, Pearce, Cummings, Robinson, Igoe, Feeney, Molesley, Fletcher, Pitman
Subs: Pryce, Webb, Connell, Guyett (for Garry, 76 mins), Partington (for Feeney, 83), McQuoid (for Pitman, 92)
Andy Burton, Portsmouth