FA CUP Jan 15 AFC Bournemouth 0-1 Wigan Atheltic Att: 8890

Last updated : 16 January 2013 By Andy Burton

After a tough encounter on Saturday, focus switched to the FA Cup on a freezing night at Dean Court - in total contrast to the chuck-it-down-conditions 72 hours earlier!

The game started relatively quietly as clearly Martinez had done his homework a bit better for this replay than he had for the first match 10-days ago when the Cherries ran riot at the DW. That level of tempo wasn't quite repeated by either side this evening.

The deadlock was broken in the 18th minute when a poor attempt at a back pass from Harry Arter was woefully poor, allowing £6.5million Boselli to nip in to rifle the ball home outside the penalty area with Jalal beaten all-ends-up.

Thomas had the first Cherries (half) chance of the evening, but as ever it seems with Thomas, the ball seemed to stick between his feet allowing Wigan to clear their lines with relative ease. The little touches that worked in the first game were not quite coming off this evening.

Wigan could have doubled their lead when Macmanaman unleashed a low shot from their left flank, which saw Jalal forced in to making a smart save.

With the Cherries giving the ball away cheaply at times, our more illustrious opponents were equally poor in their passing ability - remarkable given their comparative wages and level to which they've aspired. Equal to any Wigan move forward was the Cherries back four who were strong and very impressive throughout. Mention to Cook and Elphick who were imperious at centre of the Cherries defence.

Grabban's evening finished just after the half hour following a strong (but fair) challenge which saw the introduction of Pugh. At last with the introduction of Pugh, saw a better understanding down the left flank. No disrespect to Josh, the understanding wasn't quite there.

Thomas had another guilt edged chance. Sadly his header from a cross from the left hand side saw him get too much on it when a slighter glance would have been better.

The best chance of the half for the Cherries came just before the half time break when a lovely move found Eunan O'Kane who produced a fantastic shot which came off a combination of the underside of the cross bar and right hand upright with Pollitt in the Wigan goal a mere spectator as the ball bounced to safety.

HT: 0-1

Rattled by the threat at the end of the first period, Wigan switched their keeper in favour of Al Habsi, who has been seen to flap in the Premiership, but could the Cherries test him?

The Cherries seemed to be hitting a bit of a brick wall. They looked good pressing forward, but a resolute Wigan back line prevented a great deal sneaking through to test the Latics' keeper.

There were moments when the Cherries managed to break through, sadly the final pass too often went wayward, or straight at Al Habsi - guilty was a header from Thomas which proved to be no threat, and at other times failed to anticipate what was going on, or was too slow to react.

Steve Cook took a long throw, level with the top of the penalty area. One bounce and the ball had gone straight past everyone in the penalty area and past the far post and to safety. That could easily have snuck in!

Wigan could have doubled their advantage as the Cherries pressed for an equaliser. First a great save from Jalal, then one off the line from O'Kane to prevent a certain goal. The final chance to put the game beyond doubt came deep in stoppage time when Dicko managed to miss an open goal!

Two other clear cut Cherries chances came and went to salvage extra time. The first fell to Marc Pugh who chipped Al Habsi only to see the ball bounce off the cross bar and to safety (86th minute). The final chance came in the 93rd minute after Wes Fogden was fouled just outside the area. A 30-yard Tubbs free kick WAS dipping under the cross bar but for an acrobatic save from Al Habsi to deny the Cherries a last gasp equaliser.

Overall, the Cherries may be out of the FA Cup, but exist the competition with a huge amount of credit deservedly coming in their direction. Now it's back to League action as the Cherries re-focus on promotion to play Wigan Athletic next season.

Player Summaries
Jalal - Had a few saves to make, doing so with ease. Little he could do to prevent the goal.
Francis - Was caught out a couple of times, but otherwise was more then comfortable at the back.
Man Of The MatchElphick - Commanding at the back. Dealt with the Wigan attack with ease.

Cook - Commanding at the back. The more he plays, the more impressive his performances become.
Daniels - Very little got past Daniels, linked well with Pugh when he came on.
Grabban - Wasn't quite at the races while he remained on the pitch.
Arter - Typical Arter as he ran his socks off again in the name of AFC Bournemouth. Stupid booking for back chat.
Hughes - Sporting Trevor Aylott's head band. Looked comfortable in the centre of midfield.
O'Kane - Another impressive performance.
McQuoid - While he was over on the left, the understanding with Daniels wasn't quite there. Looked more at home on the right - still relatively ineffective.
Thomas - I don't see what he brings. Sure he held the ball up well, but made too many wrong choices when he did have the ball. Personally I'd let him go to another Club while the opportunity is there.
Pugh - Wigan had done their homework on Pugh, many of his little tricks were not coming off. Did better when keeping it simple.
Fogden - Did well enough when he came on - full of running as ever.
Tubbs - Almost snatched an equaliser right at the end of the game - but it wasn't to be.

AFCB: Jalal, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Grabban, Arter, Hughes, O'Kane, McQuoid, Thomas
Subs: James, Partington, McDermott, Pitman, Pugh (for Grabban, 34 mins), Fogden (for McQuoid, 66 mins), Tubbs (for Hughes, 80 mins)

Andy Burton, Portsmouth