FA Cup Second Round AFC Bournemouth 2-1 Carlisle United Att: 5815

Last updated : 05 December 2004 By Rob Mann
The Cherries started slowly against a well organised Carlisle side clearly determined not to have travelled South just to make the numbers up, roared on by a vociferous following of about 450. Mango Vieira the young Brazilian had the first chance with a 20 yard effort just going wide. Minutes later he was at it again with Maher blocking well. The Cherries countered with Wade Elliott launching a superb ball into the Carlisle area, the ball broke to Spicer but sadly the shot, powerful though it was, went just over.

Elliott and Spicer then started to dominate the game, a trend that was going to increasingly wind up the Carlisle players. Their passing at times was sublime, but we couldn't get the final breakthrough. Eddie had a free header from a corner but it went narrowly wide.

But it wasn't all the Cherries in an exciting first half - back came the Cumbrians with shots from Lumsden and Grand in quick succession, Lumsden's necessitating another superb block from Maher in the 6 yard area.

It was then the Cherries turn to dominate in the period up to the break. Alan Connell was supremely unlucky to hit the post from ten yards out after swivelling 180 degrees to get the shot in. Derek Holmes then got in on the action with a bullet header from an Elliott cross - incredibly their keeper was in the only place to prevent a goal and saved it. Half chances followed for Spicer - saved - and O'Connor - just wide. But the half time whistle went with the match delicately poised goalless.

HT 0-0

It didn't take long though for the Cherries to score after the break. On 48 minutes the goal came after a superb passing move started by a superb cross field ball by Connell to Spicer. Spicer's low cross was met by Deadly, the shot was cleared off the line, but Derek remained able to side foot the loose ball in to the delight of the North Stand. Cherries 1 Carlisle 0

You could sense now that Carlisle knew their chance had gone but to their credit never gave up although niggles were starting to creep into their game. Bournemouth, however, were going for the jugular to make the game safe. Connell then wasted a great chance when one-on-one with the keeper after being put through by O'Connor - spooning his shot badly.

But on 64 minutes it was game over. Elliott again destroyed the Carlisle defence, and his pinpoint cross to the back post was met by Holmes turning provider this time. His assist back across was turned in with ease by Connell with a simple header. Cherries 2 Carlisle 0

On 70 minutes we saw the first of a triple header of subs coming on for Bournemouth with Eddie being replaced by Warren Cummings. However, Carlisle heads were not going down but their play was becoming more and more ill tempered. The 76th minute saw Holmes replaced by Marcus Browning to a standing ovation from the home crowd. Spicer was thus pushed forward into a far more attacking position, creating two chances within minutes, his shot just going wide and Cummings shooting narrowly over.

Carlisle replied with a shot from their sub, Henderson, that Moss did well to push round for a corner. The final sub followed for us with Rodrigues replacing Alan Connell. The 86 minute mark saw another example of the Cumbrians' frustration, with three players piling in on Wade! Younger evened things up before the ref calmed things down.

On the 89th minute mark it was 2-1 - a neat curling shot from Farrell, ensuring that the journey for their fans was not totally in vain.

The 3 minutes of time added on saw no further playing action but an explosive incident when Spicer was fouled in the corner near the North Stand. Shortly after this the ref blew for time, clearly relieved that his duties were over. Now the fun was really to start - one minute we were applauding our victory, then three Carlisle players were after Wade and they didn't want to shake his hand! For two minutes or so both teams were involved with close quarter handbags before the stewards separated them. An unsavoury ending to an exciting game which saw the whole Carlisle team jeered off the pitch by a livid home crowd!
A deserved victory, two very good performances by Wade and Derek with the Man of the Match award going to Derek due to the fact the Wade was not entirely blameless for the post match fracas!

AFCB: Moss, Young, Howe, Broadhurst, Maher, O'Connor, Spicer, Stock, Elliott, Holmes, Connell
Subs: Stewart, Browning (on for Holmes, 77), Rodrigues (on for Connell, 82), Cummings (on for Howe, 70), Fletcher

Rob Mann, Newton Abbot