Feb 28 AFC Bournemouth 0-0 Blackburn Rovers Att: 10196

Last updated : 01 March 2015 By Denise Currie

After a late start at 3.30 due to traffic problems, the boys made a bright start. AFCB were attacking the South Stand goal and they played at a good pace forcing the first corner after only six minutes.  There was a good chance from Pugh only a couple of minutes later, which then led to another corner taken by Fraser but Kermorgant headed the ball wide.

Blackburn then started to make more impact on the game and had a shot which went wide of Boruc’s goal. After Kermorgant was fouled, Fraser, who worked hard throughout the game, took the free-kick but his follow-up shot went wide.  AFCB piled on the pressure and forced several corners but just couldn’t find a way through to goal. Daniels and Pugh linked up well down the left side and Cook, Francis and Elphick formed a solid defence on the occasions when Blackburn broke away. Arter was a solid presence in mid-field, trying a couple of distance shots and Wilson had a chance just before half-time but he wasn’t able to connect with Pugh’s cross. So, despite AFCB playing attacking football and dominating the half,  it was still stalemate at half time, with the score remaining at 0-0.

Blackburn kicked off the second half and, within a couple of minute, Wilson tried to head a cross from Pugh but it was headed away by the Blackburn defence. Play continued with AFCB pushing and Blackburn defending robustly. Arter was cautioned for a late tackle and given a yellow card; this, unsurprisingly, didn’t impress the AFCB fans who seemed less than happy with the referee’s performance throughout the afternoon! Eddie substituted Pugh for Richie at 56 minutes and Richie immediately got involved in the play, crossing to Kermorgant in front of goal. Cook went down injured but was soon back on his feet; when play resumed, AFCB had another chance but the ball went straight to the Blackburn keeper.

The AFCB fans were giving it their all by this point, desperate to spur their team on to victory. Blackburn made two substitutions and, a minute later, Blackburn’s goalkeeper made a good save to deny Kermorgant’s header. Rovers made their final substitution and Eddie brought on Rantie for Wilson at 84 minutes; he was greeted with great enthusiasm by the AFCB faithful. There were corners galore and Kermorgant came so close when his shot hit the bar. Arter had a shot saved and then Blackburn broke away but, luckily, their shot went wide of Boruc’s goal.

With five minutes of extra time remaining, AFCB continued to press for the winning goal….but without success. Final score AFCB 0 Blackburn Rovers 0.  Despite lots of attacking football, AFCB just couldn’t find the back of the net. A point picked up or two points thrown away? Only time will tell…but we need to find the way back to our winning ways – hopefully against Wolves on Tuesday.

MOTM (a difficult one this!) : Ryan Fraser ( for his excellent work ethic).

AFCB: Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels, Fraser, Surman, Arter, Pugh, Kermorgant, Wilson
Subs: Camp, Ward, Stanislas, Smith, MacDonald, Ritchie (for Pugh, 56 mins), Rantie (for Wilson, 84 mins)

Denise Currie, Bristol