Nov 15 AFC Bournemouth 1-2 Peterborough United Att: 6963

Last updated : 19 November 2003 By Richard Butler
That and a spirited Posh performance orchestrated by the one and only Barry Fry.

AFCB started off attacking the empty end with confidence. Initially they enjoyed all the ball. But before they could make it tell, Peterborough had gone into a shock lead with just 6 mins on the clock. A big clearance from the keeper found Broadhurst with a simple clearing up job to do. He went for a ‘bit of composure’, blew it, slipped and then allowed Leon McKenzie, Son of Duke, to quickly dispossess him. Leon looked up and gave Mossy no chance with a very classy finish, hit from the edge of the area into the roof of the net.

Stung into action, a bit of pressure was applied without any real scoring chance created. A dodgy foul led to the ball coming in from the left side and then, bop, we were 0-2 down. A crisp low strike from Woodhouse that bent slightly away from Moss beat him diving down to his left hand. Perhaps he could have got more hand on the ball to deflect it away, but it was just one of those strikes - Row Z or the back of the net.

Posh confidence went up, AFCB’s went down. The half finished with a mountain to climb. The best chance had fallen to Broadhurst who, with a chance to make amends, picked his spot low down with a fine header. Unfortunately, a good save kept the ball out.

Half time whistle blew heralding the end of a very ‘flat’ half. Maybe it would be a great comeback in the second half.

HT: 0-2

Second half: within the first 20 secs, as some of us were still crawling back from a consoling cup of tea, we should have been 3 down…and out! A quick attack culminating in a vicious shot which screamed just over the bar; this was a warning if ever there was one.

AFCB did start to turn the screw with more territorial advantage. Elliott and O’Connor were not causing any problems down the flanks but Purches was more effective through the middle. On one fine run, he almost waltzed through the entire defence. One more ‘bobble’ of the ball in his favour and it could have had a sensational result.

But the pressure did pay in the end, when a beautiful chest down from Big Steve angled the ball perfectly into Feeney, who slid the ball home with the touch of a striker that really is in form. 19 minutes to go, time enough to get a point back maybe…

Bournemouth pressure but Posh did counter-attack very well with sub. Clarke particularly looking dangerous. On one occasion, how Purches kneed the ball over his own bar, I don’t know. Rea went up for a brave header, got a great connection on it and had Moss well beaten. Luckily there was Purches to acrobatically clear it off the line.

Peterborough did finally put just about everyone behind the ball for the final game of pinball. Long balls were lobbed into the Posh half and kept pinging back out again. Tindall was brought on with 20 mins left. He added height and a new dimension. He actually went close on one occasion but skied it over. Feeney was also put through by a lovely pass from the impressive Purches but he shot wide.

Hayter and Stock were brought on and all 3 subs tried hard. Real quality brought off the bench but, alas, to no avail. The whistle went as a very disappointed home crowd saw a fine home run come to an end. Well done to Posh, but 3 points dropped.

Steve Purches

AFCB: Moss, Cummings, Elliott (Tindall 62), Broadhurst (Hayter 69), C Fletcher, Buxton, Purches, Browning, O'Connor (Stock 72), Feeney, S Fletcher
Richard Butler, Chertsey