Nov 24 FA Cup First Round Replay AFC Bournemouth 3-1 Forest Green Att: 5489

Last updated : 26 November 2004 By Andy Burton
As expected, Forest Green came out trying to blaze all guns in search of an advantage at Dean Court - presumably to shut up shop (especially as they were playing an apparant 0-5-5 formation)! And it was Forest Green who won the first corner of the match after 2 minutes. But it came to nothing.

Scored First Goal
If that was their game plan, it was blown out of the water on 10 minutes when Connell converted an O'Connor cross across the front of goal - it was an easy chance to net.

The goal settled any Bournemouth nerves as we then created a number of chances which, with a better rub of the green (no pun intended!), could have put us 3-up by the 15 minute mark.

Our passing was fluent and good to watch. But the killer pass to put a Bournemouth man through was lacking as FGR were effective in getting bodies back to thwart the Cherries.

With Bournemouth being frustrated, FGR decided to come more forward, playing some effective triangle movements, which had some Bournemouth players in circles! But their forrays forward came to nothing, and certainly didn't trouble Neil Moss.

The second half was much the same as the first - Bournemouth very much on top and FGR making the odd move forward without too much effect!

Bournemouth were not to be denied their victory and a place in the Second Round to face Carlisle United (December 4th). Our second goal on 70 minutes when a slide rule pass to Spicer was nicely placed past the FGR keeper. FGR really should have learned as Spicer was caught off side moment earlier for trying the exact same move!

O'Connor had a great shot deflected narrowly wide off the target, resulting in a corner. From the corner it could have been a third shortly after Maher came on. A lovely corner found Maher in the centre, who rose highest, he did everything right to head the ball down. Unfortunately the ball was saved.

It was great to see Dani come on with 13 minutes left, full of enthusiasm. In one movement, the ball sat up nicely for him to attempt an overhead kick, which went just wide of the post.

FGR then got their reward for some patient play with 2 minutes to go. They won a corner, which fell to ex-Forest man Des Lyttle. He struck it with some venom as the ball flew in to the top right hand corner of the net.

this could have set up a nervy last few minutes, but to my surprise it didn't! Especially as Dani made it 3-1 almost immediately. Another good pass through found Dani, he waited for the keeper to commit himself and then neatly lifted the ball past a hapless keeper. Browning could have mde it 4, but only found the side netting.

Derek Holmes was my man of the match. Nice to see him in the side, winning virtually every header, even though he may not be the quickest!!

AFCB: Moss, Young, Howe, Broadhurst, Cummings, Elliott, Stock, Spicer, O'Connor, Holmes, Connell
Subs: Stewart, Browning (on for Howe, 83), Maher (on for Cummings, 75), Rodrigues (on for Connell, 77), Andrade
Andy Burton, Portsmouth