Nov 9 Burnley 1-1 AFC Bournemouth Att: 12221

Last updated : 19 November 2013 By Jack Parker

The sizable away contingent was no doubt boosted by the return of Eddie Howe to his former club, ex Cherries Danny Ings and Sam Vokes scoring for fun in Burnley's charge to the top and not least the offer of free coach travel from Dean Court. As a result Eddie Howe's barmy army travelled every which way apart from your correspondent who travelled on the (X43) Witch Way complete with plush leather seats, free wi-fi and the experience of hurtling up the M66 upstairs at the front of a double decker bus with no seat belt. A half-gallon of Pendle Porter in the splendid Beer Huis restored normality and the short walk to Turf Moor produced a lump in the throat at the sight of 10 away coaches outside the ground. One of these contained an old Wintonian school chum attending his first away league game since Rochdale in 1968 in the Freddie Cox era! We sat together so I could offer soothing words to placate his north of Watford anxieties.

Cherries made three changes from Bolton. Ward, O'Kane and Pitman in for Elphick, Macdonald and Fraser - the latter having picked up a knock on his knee in training. This meant Grabban filled the right wing/midfield slot alongside Arter and O'Kane with Pugh on the left and Pitman up front with Rantie. Lee Camp continued in goal in front of a familiar Daniels, Cook, Ward and Francis back four.

A lively Cherries start took the game to their highly placed host from the outset with TK bursting through at pace to fire over after 95 secs. A Pitman deflected curling lob went close soon after as Cherries made a promising start. Nothing much from the Clarets until 10mins when Vokes headed over from a free kick. This was followed by a smart save from Camp and then a spectacular overhead goal-line clearance by Pitman and a 'block of the season' contender by the excellent Cook to save a certain goal.

Between these exciting incidents Arter was able to incur the game long wrath of the Burnley main stand support and get himself booked for running onto the pitch without the refs permission (mute point!) to collect a pass after he had left the action for treatment after injuring himself in a fair but hard challenge.

Burnley continued their attacks with Cherries again vulnerable down the right with Francis and Ward both too upright and tall to prevent speedy players from reaching the byline and supplying dangerous crosses. However Ward produced a great block to prevent Ings from scoring and then Camp parried a pile-driver of a shot, only for the rebound to go straight to Vokes who fluffed his shot much to the amusement of the large away contingent.

Despite these chances Cherries were not overwhelmed by any means and with O'Kane quietly going about his work in the 'invisible' workhorse defensive role and with Arter and Pugh creating, this allowed Grabban and Pitman to surge forward and join Rantie in attack. Cherries were working hard and competing all over the pitch in a spirited upbeat performance against a confident side 5 points clear at the top of the Championship. Half-time 0-0.

The second half was only 5 minutes old when TK scored his first goal for the Cherries to provoke wild celebrations amongst players and supporters alike and what a goal it was!.

A long ball from Ward out of defence, headed flick on by Pitman to Tokelo Rantie in the middle of the goal to control, move, turn and shoot an unstoppable bullet of shot past the despairing hand of the Burnley keeper who was beaten by sheer power and pace with the ball cannoning into the goal of the underside of the crossbar in front of the away fans.

Cue huge celebrations not just for the quality of the goal but also massive relief for TK and hope that the goals would now flow to supplement his pace and fine link up team play.

Burnley responded by bringing on sub Keith Treacy who almost scored with his first touch but could only manage a tame header. Vokes then had a deflected shot that almost crept in at the near post but for a good reaction save by Camp. As the pressure mounted on the Cherries and the home fans braying for a goal there was a penalty shout against Ward and Ings went to ground inside the box. Thankfully the ref waived away the appeal. Cherries were still dangerous going forward and typically quick break saw TK almost score again from an Arter through ball but his attempted lob bounced past the left upright. As the minutes ticked by Vokes almost connected with a cross and then we were past 80 mins and the prospect of a 1-0 away win beckoned. Sadly it was not to be and with Cherries pushed back deeper and deeper a cross was headed back across goal to the unmarked Ings who headed the ball over Camp with Ward stationary and looking at his goal-keeper. Not quite the same as Leicester but it felt the goal was preventable if either Ward or Camp had been more decisive. In any event it wad 1-1 with 6 mins to go and Burnley could smell 3 points. Cherries defended strongly and then conceded a free kick. The well struck shot went up and over the Cherries wall and Camp had to dive smartly to his left to prevent a certain goal. Great save from a solid goalie.

Late Cherries subs Thomas, Hughes and Macdonald ate up more time and Hughes even managed a booking. The 6 mins stoppage time caused a groan in the away end but Cherries survived for an excellent and well deserved point. As mentioned I thought O'Kane was quietly effective with Cook again superb. For once we also defended from the front with Pitman having a good game away from home -perhaps he had a point to prove against Ings and Vokes, his former youth team-mates. I also thought Grabban was excellent, looking strong and quick he kept possession and drove deep into the Burnley defence with Man Of The Matchsurging runs. However the man of the match ha to go to Tokelo Rantie for his outstanding goal that earned a point for the Cherries at the league leaders.

AFCB: Camp, Francis, Cook, Ward, Daniels, Grabban, Arter, O'Kane, Pugh, Pitman, Rantie
Subs: Jalal, Elphick, Surman, Harte, Thomas (for Rantie, 84 mins), Hughes (for Pugh, 88 mins), MacDonald (for O'Kane, 96 mins)

Jack Parker, Didsbury