Sept 23 Cardiff City 0-3 AFC Bournemouth Att: 6491

Last updated : 28 September 2014 By Clive Loader

Out first visit to the Cardiff City Stadium did not show it off at its best with a few thousand fans rattling around in the impressive arena.

Both teams made several changes from their last league games with Cherries bringing in young Baily Cargill at centre back to partner Tommy Elphick. Apparently the intention had been to field Steve Cook rather than Elphick but he was injured in the warm up. Brett Pitman started up front in a 4-5-1 formation which has been reasonably successful recently away from home.

The lack of atmosphere seemed to affect the home side as several of their players looked as though they’d rather not be there. Bournemouth played in their blue away kit, perhaps rubbing it in to the Cardiff supporters to whom Vincent Tan’s decision to change to red remains very unpopular.

It was clear from the early exchanges that City weren’t really up for the game and the Cherries first chance came after just 5  minutes when Pugh shot from the edge of the penalty area bringing a diving save from the Cardiff keeper.

The opener was not long coming though as Dan Gosling waltzed through some ‘after you Claude’ defending to carry the ball to the edge of the box and slot it past Moore.

Just over 10 minutes later it was 2-0 when Charlie Daniels exchanged passes with Eunan O’Kane and shot from the left, beating Moore at his near post.

Murmurs of discontent were beginning to come from the locals and their mood was not improved when Gosling latched on to a parried shot from Pitman to make it three and give him 4 goals in 3 games in the League Cup this year.

Cardiff’s joint caretaker manager Scott Young had seen enough and immediately replaced Javi Guerra and Korean world cup player Kim Bo Kyung but he really could have chosen 6 or 7 others.

The home fans got bored with booing and decided to make an early exit, either for a much-needed half time pint or to go home to organise their sock drawer. More booing ensued from those who were left as the players left the field at 0-3 H-T.

The contest was effectively over at this point and although City were better in the second half (they could hardly be worse) we never really looked like conceding our first goal in the competition this season. The closest the Bluebirds (can we still call them that?) came was when Macheda headed past Boruc but the flag was already up for offside and when Boruc scooped a close range header away.

A late flurry from Bournemouth saw Harry Arter smash a shot against the underside of the crossbar and a mad scramble with the other joint caretaker manager, Danny Gabbidon, twice clearing off the line for City.

So we go forward into almost uncharted territory  with a thoroughly professional performance against a very poor Cardiff side who look as though they urgently need to get in a permanent manager.

Man Of The MatchDan Gosling – once again made good use of a rare chance to impress.

AFCB: Boruc, Smith, Elphick, Cargill, Daniels, Pugh, O'Kane, Gosling, MacDonald, Stanislas, Pitman
Subs: Camp, McCarthy, Ritchie, Wilson, Arter (for MacDonald, 75 mins), Francis (for Smith, 86 mins), Rantie (for Stanislas, 87 mins)